Monday, October 20, 2014

DIALOGUE WITH GOD

by Danna Shirley

I wrote the following "dialogue" as I watched my brother-in-law (Jerry Belden) with Parkinsons begin to close into himself, lose his speech, and become bedridden. I tried to imagine what his thoughts must be inside his existence...what my thoughts would be if this were me.  

          Here I am, Lord, hidden in silence in this body from which I can’t escape. The world moves around me but I am still. I want to yell, “I am in here! Pay attention to me!” but they just go on about their busy lives.

          I can’t tell them what I want, what I need. I want to cry out, “Please, get me out of this bodily coma.” They walk all around me, they dress me, change me, feed me, and move me from side to side and from bed to chair.

I can do nothing for myself . . . but I am still in here, still able to think and reason. And my thinking leads me to despair.

When will it all end? How much longer must I exist in this life where I have no control? A week? A month? A year or is it ten?

Oh, God, no! I am Yours. Please take me out of this world and into the next
. . . I am ready for Your Kingdom.

          If you love me, Lord, take me home to be with You!
Jerry died April 15, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment