Saturday, December 20, 2014

MY NIGHTLY ROUTINE

by Danna Shirley

            Does an examination of one’s bedside table reveal the type of person they are or just their daily . . . or nightly needs? 
            Of course there is my lamp, telephone, and glow-in-the-dark clock. A wicker holder is at my fingertips for my pens and pencils, a screwdriver, a lint brush, a pair of scissors, a ruler, and a magnifying glass. Beside that is a box of Kleenex for all things from the sniffles to dusting my tabletop when necessary.
            I also have my daily container of pills for a two-week stretch and my nightly pill bottles as well. On the floor beside my nightstand is a big plastic container holding my entire assortment of pill bottles that I keep in reserve until its time to fill my two-week pill box. A small hand towel lies on the corner of the nightstand to absorb the condensation from my nightly glass of water, which has been brought in from the kitchen to take my nighttime pills.
            The top drawer holds my “bedroom office” supplies:  a stapler, scotch tape, more pills that are only needed occasionally, throat lozenges, and scratch paper for writing down those thoughts and dreams that I don’t want to lose in the middle of the night.  
            In the bottom drawer are winter gloves, hats, scarves, a fanny pack, and a blood pressure machine to monitor my ups and downs.
            On the bed beside me is Petey, my Teacup Poodle, and the only male who sleeps with me. Between us are three remotes: one for the television, one for the DVD/VCR player, and one for my Tempur Pedic bed which raises and lowers the head and the foot and turns on the massage for my back and legs. Next to all of the controls are two ace bandages for wrapping my hands so they won’t fall asleep on me in the night.  On the floor next to the bed is my CPAP machine that goes over my head and up my nose so I can sleep without snoring.
            After the usual face, teeth, floss routine, I turn off the lamp and listen to the droning of the television, which I’ve been going to sleep to for thirty years. Sometime in the night I wake up to an infomercial praising their great product. I hit the ‘off’ button and hopefully go back to sleep. 
            Petey is now my alarm clock. He wakes me anytime between 5:30 and 7:00 a.m. Up we get and off to the back door where he scoots out and under the deck and appears back in a flash for his breakfast. Sometimes I go back to bed but usually when I’m awake, I’m awake, and no amount of lying in bed will give me any more rest.
            All in all, my routine can be a pretty scary thing.  How about yours?
(October 2008)

Addendum:
I have since had carpal tunnel surgery on both my wrists so I no longer sleep with my hands wrapped. Thank you Dr. Jay Saenz of Tabor Orthopedics, Bartlett, TN.

(March and December 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment