Tuesday, September 8, 2015

SHOWING INTEREST (writing assignment)

by Danna Shirley

The assignment was to take an "emotional description" and write a brief paragraph or story using a few of those listed. I chose to use: 
                   SHOWING INTEREST ~ OPEN BODY POSTURE ~ RAPT ATTENTION

            I sat down on the last available seat in the gate area. To my left was an older man reading a book and to my right was a young lady, head down, eyes glued, swiping through an iPod. Now, I’m not that old but I’m definitely not of the swipe generation. I can find my way around a computer and that’s all I need at this point in my life.
I just broke down, however, and got my first “smart” phone but quickly realized I had to be smart to use it. All I ever wanted to do with a phone was talk or text and that little flip phone I had fit beautifully in my pants pocket. Now, whenever my phone rings, I’m at the opposite end of the house where I’ve put it because I don’t want to carry it around.
Dubai Int l Airport Terminal 1 Editorial Photo            I’m a people watcher at the airport. I like to see how the parents handle their kids as they run in and out of standing luggage, how the young married couple cuddles in a corner, whose eating a quick lunch before the flight, or whose looking around people watching just as I am.
            This particular waiting area showed no signs of interest to me so I bypassed the young iPod gal and turned to Mr. Book Reader. I like to strike up a conversation with strangers. My curiosity keeps me engaged and I feel I can say anything because I will never see this person again. I turned sideways to sit on my left hip and crossed my right leg over my left. Mr. Reader looked at me quizzically. Then I hung my left elbow over the back of my seat and smiled. He smiled back . . . success, we were engaged.

            “So, what are you reading?” I asked, in rapt attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment