Monday, July 4, 2016

WHEN GOD SPEAKS . . . LISTEN!!!

by Danna Shirley

God got my attention on Sunday morning (July 3, 2016) through so many different sources that I couldn't allow myself to ignore Him anymore. I must begin by saying that I have drifted away from what I know I should do because I let myself get busy and distracted by many other things going on in my life. I feel as Paul did when he said, “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do; but what I hate, I do.” (Rom 7:15)

So what do I mean by that? Here is what has been on my plate for the last few months:
1.      Hip replacement surgery and rehabilitation.
2.      Stacks of pictures laid out on my kitchen table that I plan to organize someday.
3.      Preparation for publishing a book of short stories in my writing class.
4.      Piles of material, thread, and scissors strewn about while I’m making travels bags (50 of them; I've made 7 so far) for Youth Village boys and girls.
5.      Saving and trimming and taping Box Tops for Education for my granddaughter’s school.
6.      In between all of these activities I play Free Cell while watching mindless television (too often I might add).

Every one of these projects are worthwhile (except Free Cell) but I’ve looked at myself as being so busy that I don’t have time to read my Bible or devote the quality time needed to pray. Oh, I say my cursory prayers but I don’t let my heart really be touched like I want to do because I am too busy doing what I hate, which is being distracted by many things that are not as important as spending time with God.

So what happened Sunday morning that God used to get my attention? All hell broke loose in my spirit!
1.      I always turn on BOTT Radio (AM640) while showering and getting ready for the day. Pastor Chuck Herring of First Baptist Church in Collierville, TN was preaching on the Mary and Martha story (Luke 10:38-42). The message was that Martha had busied herself with many things (like me) but Mary had chosen that good part,” which was to sit at the Master’s feet and hear His Word.
2.      Next I watched television (Fox 13) while eating breakfast. Pastor Steve Gaines of Bellevue Baptist Church in Cordova, TN was preaching on the need for prayer and why we shouldn’t neglect it because without praying for God’s guidance we go our own way and make mistakes. And sometimes we even blame God. Woe, woe, woe!
3.      Then I arrived at my church, Bartlett First Assembly, Bartlett, TN and worship begins with worship—not praise. If you understand the difference you will understand the atmosphere and presence of Almighty God in a totally worshipful  service.
4.      Our youth had just come back from one week of church camp in Nashville and they were walking high. Cheyenne gave such a testimony to stir our hearts. One thing she said zapped my spirit to the core: “We can all spit some words into the sky but we all don’t touch heaven.” My cursory prayer! Woe is me!
5.      Then my pastor, Johnny Byrd, said God had him change what he had prepared and wanted him to preach Matthew 6:31-33.
                     “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your Heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But SEEK FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS, and all these things shall be added to you.”

In my spirit I was hearing, “Therefore do not worry about organizing the pictures or publishing the book or sewing the travel bags. God knows you need to get all of these things done. But SEEK GOD FIRST and PRAY and PRAISE and WORSHIP Him with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and all these things will be added unto you."

What’s so disappointing to me as a Christian is that I’ve learned this lesson before…many, many times before. But I am not alone. God continues to teach us, over and over and over again…until we get it right! And here I sit typing this testimony instead of spending time in prayer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment