Wednesday, August 31, 2016

GROWING UP . . .

by Danna Shirley
Writing assignment

Pa looked pretty forlorn as we rambled down the dirt road to the bus stop. I was the oldest of three brothers and he needed me to stay and work the farm with him but I just couldn’t. I’d been telling him when I turned eighteen I would be oughta there and leave the farming with him and my brothers. It was just not for me! The drought, the flood, the bugs eating the crops, the sun burning up the plants, the dust and broken down farm equipment. I didn’t want to even start a life like that. I knew I was disappointing him but I was also excited to head down the road to Central Community College and plot my own course for life. I was pretty smart and I would make it.

Now we were sitting on the tailgate of the pickup truck, Shep’s head on my knee on one side and Pa wrestling with his hat on the other. We never had the man-to-man talk before and I’m sure Pa was thinkin’ about it. It would be awkward, though, for both of us. I already knew the facts of life; I’d been raised on a farm watching and birthing everything under the sun. I watched Ma and Pa, too, but they never even touched in front of us boys; never kissed. I guess that was only for after the lights went out.

Now I was waiting on the bus and the only thing I could take with me was a suitcase and all I had learned from Ma and Pa; love from family, a good work ethic, loyalty from a faithful dog, and God to guide me and keep me safe. 

It would be an excellent adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment