Sunday, January 14, 2018

“FOR GOD IS NOT A GOD OF CONFUSION BUT OF PEACE” by Linda Watson

by Linda Watson
This is a devotion written to go along with a 21-day fast at my church for 2018; the theme was "For Such a Time as This"
            Confusion and fear seemed to be the norm for me as far back as I can remember. I had not been to church on a regular basis for many years, but I soon began to have the desire to go. I visited a few places but none felt like they were where I was supposed to be.
            Every other Saturday I would pass by Bartlett First Assembly on my way to my granddaughter's house and I would think, I need to visit there, but I never did.
            One day my neighbor, Barbe Hill, asked me to be her guest at a ladies Harvest Tea, which would be taking place at her church. When she told me where it was, I was excited to learn it was exactly where I had wanted to attend. As Barbe and I walked into the church that Saturday, I stopped just inside the door and a peace came over me. I stood there for a moment. It was like the Lord was saying, Welcome home! Everyone was so nice and made me feel as if they had known me forever—just like family.
            I began attending BFA (now Legacy Church) and was very happy with my new church family; however, I couldn't seem to shake the continual confusion I felt. I loved our weekly ladies Bible study, but for the most part I just sat there not understanding a lot of what was being said. I wanted to understand, but I couldn't! All of the other ladies seemed so much more spiritual than I. It's like a voice in my head was saying, You're not like them, you can't understand.
            I was weary of sitting in church and Bible Study when nothing was clear to me, not even the music. One Sunday Pastor Johnny gave an altar call. I felt like I was supposed to go forward but I just couldn't move. Many people had already started down the aisle and I thought to myself, I wonder if they are just faking it or do they really feel something.
            Suddenly, I had a deep longing to feel what they seemed to be feeling. I was so tired of my confusion and uncertainty. But I don't understand, I thought! A voice inside me seemed to say, Be still. So even though I felt like I was supposed to go forward, I sat down. I knew I was about to cry but didn't know why. This feeling was all so new to me.
            As I sat there, the name Joyce popped into my head. Since that's my daughter’s name, she was the first one I thought of, but then I realized, She's not here. I stood up once again, looked around, and saw Joyce Doolittle standing on the front row. She seemed to be praying and even though her head was bowed, I started motioning with my hand for her to come to me, not really understanding what was happening. When Gordon nudged her, she walked to where I was and led me to the altar. The tears were falling now. There were quite a few people already at the altar but when she began to talk to me, it was as if we were the only two people in the room. I could feel and understand everything she said and I knew God was doing something in my life.
            Pastor Johnny came up and put his hand on my arm and said a short prayer . . . “You don’t have to beg God. He is here waiting, just ask.” Then the floodgates of heaven were opened to me. Whoosh! and in a moment’s time the burden I had carried for so many years was lifted and was instantly replaced with an overwhelming joy, peace, and comfort that I carry with me still today. 
           That was my “for such a time as this” moment. All the years of searching, confusion, and condemnation were lifted and I now better understand the Bible, the sermons, and even the music. It was a life-changing day for me, and I feel sure God planned it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment