Wednesday, September 26, 2018

WALTZING MATILDA

by Danna Shirley
Writing assignment: use these words in a story...
Message     Fake     Graze     Scoundrel     Authenticity
Waltz     Discombobulated     Pumpkin

The email message dinged at 2:00 a.m. As a government operative, I could not ignore anything coming in on my Top Secret computer. The email was from Agent James Polk of the FBI. I quickly scanned its contents and learned there was a breach in our system. Further search placed the origination in Brussels.

I returned to my room and showered, packed, and kissed my hubby goodbye. Agent Polk met me at the airport and we were on a plane to Belgium by daylight. The investigation revealed the location of the breach was in the Castle of Groot-Bijgaarden (Bi-jerden). An invitation was highjacked to attend a ball the next evening at the castle. James and I hustled to buy evening wear and then quickly brushed up on our dance moves. I wasn’t the greatest dancer in the world but I could fake it when necessary.


Entering the castle grounds was a vision to behold. The estate was elegantly
authentic with ducks and geese padding around a pond while alpacas grazed on the lawn. It seemed all the elite of Brussels were in attendance this night.

James and I arrived and blended in naturally with the other guests. We took the usual champagne glasses and nibbled on some pumpkin pastries as we explored the ballroom. Our host, Isador Van Beveren, walked around conversing with his guests. He was a pompous playboy and a well-known scoundrel of the worst kind,

Image result for waltzing clip artA waltz began to play and saved us from an awkward greeting and explanation of our presence. We danced our way to the opposite side of the room and exited through the tall doors leading to the garden. Our contact told us the computer room was on the third floor of the castle tower. I had put slacks on under my dress for easy movement.

James and I ascended the back staircase and were in the computer room within minutes. There was no guard on the door but a computer nerd sat at a desk with his back to us. A silent approach and a tap on his shoulder had him discombobulated as to what to do next. I made quick work of getting him bound and gagged while James sat down at the keyboard and did his magic. When all was said and done, no muss—no fuss, we descended the staircase and entered the ballroom without even breathing hard. James waltzed me across the room and out the front door to our limo. We made a great team.

I slipped in beside my hubby at 2:00 a.m. and soundly fell asleep. The alarm went off at six and I heard my Sweetheart in the bathroom showering. I put on my robe and slippers and went to wake the kids. My motherly routine of pancakes and sack lunches and car pooling began. I was no waltzing Matilda. Boy, it was good to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment