Sunday, May 31, 2020

My Thoughts on Scripture ~ 2

by Danna Shirley

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves received from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ." (2 Corinthians 1:3-5)
Breaking it down it looks like this:
God...comforts us...so that we can comfort [others] ...with the [same] comfort we received from God. 
This was one of the first scriptures I learned and how I finally understood it. A friend had had an abortion and she wanted me to work with her in a pro-life ministry. The first girl we talked to kept saying, "But you don't understand; you don't know what I'm going through." No, I couldn't relate, but my friend could. She could comfort this girl with the same comfort she had received from God when she had her abortion.
     I wish we didn't have to go through our experiences but because we have, we can comfort others as God has comforted us. God puts people in our path to minister His peace and comfort. As we tune in to the Holy Spirit, He brings us many fish. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will send you out to fish for people." (Matthew 4:19)
     Now, when I experience something profound, I realize somewhere down the line God will bring me someone in the same situation who I am to comfort. I look forward to that day knowing nothing is wasted with God. 

"The law [Word/scripture] of the Lord is perfect [complete, sound], converting the soul [mind, will, emotions];
The testimony of the Lord is sure [confirmed], making wise the simple [open-minded];
The statutes of the Lord are right [straight]rejoicing the heart [inner man];
The commandment of the Lord is pure [clean], enlightening the eyes;
The fear of the Lord is clean [pure], enduring forever [perpetuity];
The judgments of the Lord are true [firm, faithful, truth] and righteous [just] altogether.
More to be desired [take pleasure in] are they than gold,
Yea, than much fine gold [refined];
Sweeter also than honey [flowing] and the honeycomb." (Psalm 19:7-10)

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15 KJV) 
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15 (NKJV)
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15 NIV)
I look at this verse as a directive to study, be diligent, and do our best, to correctly handle the word of God and not be ashamed to share it. But to share it we have to know it. That's where study comes in and as we study, we're not ashamed when we can't answer a question but have to say, "I don't know but I'll find out and get back with you." God speaks to us through His Word; we just have to stop and listen.

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)
Some people are afraid to come boldly to God...like He is an abusive heavenly Father. I guess they base that on an abusive earthly father but that is so untrue. God has nothing but our good in mind, even when we don't think so. If we look at certain situations and imagine the worst-case scenario... the "what if" this or that had happened...and then realize the actual outcome was better, safer, easier, protected, etc., we can see God's hand at work in our life for good and not for harm. 
     The next step is to obtain His mercy [compassion] find grace [kindness] to help in our time of need. God loves us so much and doesn't want us to suffer. However, in our suffering we can grow stronger, mature spiritually, trust God more, our faith is increased, etc. If we look back from where we are to where we've come from, the encouragement and inspiration are a hundred fold in return. The key is to allow God to do the work in us that He wants to do. We can get really stubborn and resistant, which holds us back. 
     I've always been the slow learner, the tortoise not the hare, but I've learned a few things over my many years as a Christian. Everyone goes at their own pace and for me, it was two steps forward, one back, etc. but always, always, always "keep your hand in the hand of the Man who stilled the waters." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1iAaKHd7z8

Today is September 11, 2017 (16th anniversary)...on top of two hurricanes--Harvey (TX) and Irma (FL). 
I woke up thinking of all of these disasters. Turned on the TV to watch the report and pictures of what's left in FL. When our thoughts gravitate in one direction, God brings us back to His Word. He brought this scripture to my mind this morning...
     "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:11-13 NKJV)
After fourteen years of being a widow, my response to whoever may ask is--"I'm content with my life. Yes, of course, I would rather have the love of my life back, but I have reached beyond grief and have graduated to contentment. But it did take time..."
     For the hurricane victims: Yes, they will experience grief as if there has been a death in the family, but all material things can be replaced. Not so with the lives of loved ones. My advice is to find strength through Christ, find contentment in every situation, pick up the pieces, and rebuild. Easy to say, hard to do, BUT what's the alternative?

My pastor's sermon today (Sep 17th) wasn't really a sermon. It was a sharing of a conference he had attended over the weekend. He was very moved while telling us about it. I believe he said 125 pastors were there and they spent the first 90 minutes praying, praying, praying...
     One Chinese pastor's testimony was that he had been on death row for ten years. He would convert the whole prison and they would get mad at him and send him to a worse prison. Finally, they sent him to clean the toilets (buckets really) at a prostitute prison and he still converted more to believe. Finally, Paul Yonggi Cho (pastor of the largest A/G church in the world--South Korea--over one million members) went to the United Nations to get him released and brought to America. He can never go back to China and his wife and children can never leave to be with him unless he renounces Christ, which he will not do.
     My pastor's point was that here was a man on death row for ten years, cleaning toilets with his hands and he was stressing over the sound system or the leaky roof, etc. at our church. He said it really put things into perspective for him...for me, too!

"BELIEVE me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; or at least BELIEVE on the evidence of the works themselves. Very truly I tell you, whoever BELIEVES in Me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even GREATER things than these, because I am going to the Father." (John 14:11-12) 
I've always loved the trust that Jesus has in us to do greater things than He has done. Trusting us to get it right, do it right, stretch ourselves out of our comfort zone and BELIEVE, step out in faith and JUST DO IT!

"While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." (Mark 26:26-28 NIV)
Communion is so very special. Jesus tells us to do this in remembrance of Him...what He did on the cross for us...His body broken, His blood poured out. He states this before it even happened, knowing He would be beaten and nailed to a cross. All He asks is that we remember what He did by taking communion. My church does it once a month. I believe that Catholics take it every week, but it doesn't have to be in church done by a priest or a pastor. This do in remembrance of Me [Jesus] at any time we wish to focus our hearts and minds on what He did for us.

"The Lord says: 'These people come near to Me with their mouth and honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me. Their worship of Me is based on merely human rules they have been taught.'" (Isaiah 29:13)
I have sometimes found myself singing the songs but not really worshiping the Lord. My mind/heart is thinking about other things. God definitely knows our heart and as He said in Isaiah, mine is far from Him...sad to admit. When I find myself drifting, drifting, drifting, I bring myself back into the moment, really listen to the words I am singing, shut out everything and everyone around me, and set my mind/heart on Him above. My arms float up in worship and surrender and it is just me and Jesus. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

“And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire A STILL SMALL VOICE.” (1 Kings 19:11-12 KJV) 
I've told this story many, many times but it is the most significant testimony I have of hearing God's still small voice. I was praying in my shower about whether I should move to TN or stay in the house Ron and I had built in MS where I had a job, my church, my friends, my memories. The water was coming down vertically and I was just praying casually, "Well, Lord, what should I do?" not thinking that God would really mess with my life. Then I felt a physical presence move across me horizontally and God said to my spirit, "You are released!" That was His still small voice. The voice we have to tune into when we allow ourselves to quiet down our own spirit and just listen, even pray, "Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening" (1 Sam 3:10) and then wait. It's an awesome feeling and privilege to know God is personally looking after us and speaking to our heart.

"We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)
The first time I heard someone refer to this scripture, he said, "Well, Romans 8:28 is still in the book." I can't remember what he was going through but he was hanging his hat on this verse. Trusting God to work everything together for good takes a lot of faith. The second half takes a lot of faith, too. Am I really called according to His purpose? Yes! If you are a Christian, you are a called one. He will reveal His purpose in due time. 

"Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6)
The 'good work' God began in me was on a Sunday, May 18, 1980. My walk has been slow but steady and even though I've said I'm more like the tortoise than the hare, I do trust God to carry my spiritual life and maturity on to completion until the day I go home to be with Jesus. Amen!

"I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)
This verse is shared so often in all kinds of situations, especially on greeting cards...birthday, anniversary, thinking of you, graduation, even sympathy. Future plans, we all face them, and it's wonderful to know God is in charge of all our hopes and all our future. 

"For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man...And He will send His angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other." (Matthew 24:27 and 31)
Hallelujah! Can't you just see it happening. I would love to be raptured today. We all have to be ready to meet Him in the sky every day! No one knows the day or the hour...we should just live our lives and be ready at all times and in all seasons. 

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and LEARN FROM ME, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30) 
You know, you can read the same scripture for years and then all of a sudden it clicks. I've always looked at 'find rest for your soul' and that is so true; and He makes our 'burdens light' and that is so true...BUT just now it clicked on, LEARN FROM ME! How do we learn something? We study it, we meditate on it, we go from a Kindergarten level to a PhD. That's what our Christian walk is like...education...and we never reach graduation until we graduate to heaven. Hallelujah!

I woke up to the Las Vegas shooting this morning (Oct 2, 2017)...Oh, Lord, help us, PLEASE! I have no words, when we not only have to worry about terrorists but our very own citizens. Satan is alive and well and doing a good job...
"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have LIFE, and that they may have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)
Satan's job description: steal hope, peace, and joy; kill body, mind, and spirit; destroy finances, relationships, and future.
Christ's job description: GIVE LIFE and LIFE MORE ABUNDANTLY, TO THE FULL UNTIL IT OVERFLOWS, ABOVE AND BEYOND ALL THAT WE COULD EVER ASK OR HOPE OR THINK! I am a follower of Jesus Christ and I believe in His job description.

"For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the Gospel the righteousness of God is revealed--a righteousness that is by faith from the first to last, just as it is written: 'The righteous will live by faith.'" (Romans 1:16-17)
I remember those days when I was NOT ashamed but was also not very bold to speak out for Christ, especially if I knew the person and would be around them on a regular basis. However, if it was a stranger and I knew I would never see them again, I was pretty bold. I remember getting on an elevator once and could tell the woman was in pain. I was prompted to pray for her and then we went our separate ways. 
     Now, if prompted by the Holy Spirit, I have reached that place to be obedient without inhibitions. The key words to keep in mind are "by the Holy Spirit." It's such a good feeling knowing you're being used by God to help someone else.

"May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us--yes, establish the work of our hands." (Psalm 90:17)
It is a blessing to ask God to bless the work of our hands no matter what our hands find to do; whether quilting or writing or finding peace and comfort in cuddling with our pets, loving on our grandchildren, or putting our hands together in prayer. Whatever we find to do, we should do it with our whole heart, as unto the Lord (Colossians 3:23). 

"Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the Rock that is higher than I." (Psalm 61:1-2)
His Word sustains us knowing when we CRY out to Him [with our whole heart, mind, soul, and strength], He leads us higher and higher into those realms of peace, trust, faith, mercy, hope, encouragement; into every area that we can ever think or imagine to fulfill the calling Jesus [the Rock] calls us into. We ask Him to hear our CRY...now our part is to tune our spirit to listen to His still, small voice.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." (Galatians 6:9-10)

Do not become weary in doing good. That convicts me at this moment because I was facing a situation of being very tired of 'doing good' and not receiving the proper 'thank you' for my efforts...or so I thought. Pride goeth before a fall. But then the scripture says 'do good' anyway. Okay, Lord, I hear You!

"And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God." (Ephesians 3:18-19 NLT)
Power to understand? Although we live through events that we can't understand, that leave us numb and almost catatonic, eventually we don't look down and around us but we have to look UP to see and realize that His love is wide and long and high and deep.

October 9, 2017
I watched the weather channel most of the day to keep informed of the fires in CA. My sister, Paula, lost her house in Napa as well as three neighbors down her driveway. Late in the evening an earthquake hit south of San Francisco...a 4.1 on the Richter scale. What is happening to our country...
Aug 30  Hurricane Harvey (Houston)
Sep 11   Hurricane Irma (Miami)
Sep 20   Hurricane Maria (Puerto Rico)
Oct 1     Las Vegas mass murder tragedy
Oct 7     Hurricane Nate (Biloxi)
Oct 9     Wildfires in California and across the Western states
Oct 9     Earthquake in San Jose, California (4.1)
I thought of this scripture...
"For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time." (Romans 8:22)
Lord, deliver us from these disasters...or is this our punishment for all the evil we've allowed in this country...legal abortions, gay marriages, riots, disrespecting our flag, calling evil good and good evil. I cry, Lord, have mercy on us.

Fire still raging (Oct 10, 2017)...
"For we walk by faith, not by sight." (2 Corinthians 5:7)
When there's nothing else to do in your life, just keep walking, straight ahead, eyes on Jesus, not looking to the right or to the left, but looking up where your help comes from.

Fire still raging (Oct 13, 2017)...
Well, I spent the whole day yesterday again on the Weather Channel. I did take a break for a few hours because I just couldn't watch anymore. My chest was so heavy with such a sinking feeling. Last I heard there were 31 dead and hundreds missing...and it's still not contained. Now I must take the advice I've been giving:
"TRUST in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah." (Psalm 62:8)   "You will keep him in perfect PEACE, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." (Isaiah 26:3)


Aftermath at my sister, Paula's, house Oct 14, 2017: "Absolutely nothing salvageable. The papers in the safe are ashes. Coins are black. Nana's rings not recognizable. Very bad. They are saying this is the worst fire in CA history."      
My daily devotion from "Jesus Calling" on Oct 14th: 

"When suffering strikes, remember that I am sovereign and that I can bring good out of everything. Do not try to run from pain or hide from problems. Instead, accept adversity in My Name, offering it up to Me for My purposes. Thus your suffering gains meaning and draws you closer to Me. Joy emerges from the ashes of adversity through your trust and thankfulness."

No comments:

Post a Comment