Saturday, January 31, 2015

I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU...

by Danna Shirley

          Two people can get very comfortable with each other after thirty-four years of marriage.  Our nest was finally empty and my husband, Ron, and I were enjoying our warm and contented, quiet and peaceful life together.  We had worked hard, he more than I, and every so often he would figure our finances calculating the exact date we could retire and still live well on our savings.  Every day was harder and harder on him physically for he suffered with fibromyalgia, a chronic disorder that causes pain and tenderness in the muscles and soft tissue, as well as insomnia, fatigue, and any number of other problems. On top of his daily ration of pain from the fibromyalgia, he developed the flu at Christmastime. He seemed to recover from everything but that nasty cough that wouldn’t let go.        
            Ron worked in the defense industry in Pascagoula, MS (Navy ships; Aegis weapons, etc.) and although he knew that everyone is replaceable, his boss did not want any testing done without his watchful eye. It was not until February that he surrendered to go to the doctor.  Why? The Iraqi War began in March! By the time he sought medical help, the cough had a firm grip on him and he was now diagnosed with pneumonia. The doctor wanted to put him in the hospital but he refused. He had his five prescriptions filled on Tuesday and called his boss that he would be out on Wednesday but would return to work on Thursday. Thursday never came!
            Wednesday morning I woke to find Ron barely able to sit on the side of the bed. I begged him to let me take him to the Emergency Room but he insisted that he wanted to give the medication time to work. I called often throughout the day; he was in a lot of pain. When I arrived home, he was sleeping. He got up once and we talked for a short time then announced he was going back to bed. That night I slept in the other bedroom so I wouldn’t disturb what little sleep he would receive. Surprisingly, I slept peacefully, never waking, which was unusual for me. 
            Thursday morning I woke and went into our dark bedroom to get ready for work. I passed by our bed several times thinking that I mustn’t disturb him. I never noticed the silence in the room.  As I was leaving for work, God spoke to me so clearly, “You need to try and wake up Ron.”  When my spirit heard the word “try,” I immediately knew something was wrong. I couldn’t see him in the dark but when I touched him, he was cold. I knew he was gone but I expected my continual shaking to awaken him. It was February 20, 2003. He was fifty-six.
            The day continued with the 9-1-1 call. My pastor arrived and my church family took over my every move. I was numb. I couldn’t think what should be done next. Thank God for friends!  I had to tell my children. “Oh, God, how can I live through this day? How can I tell them they have lost their father when I still had mine?”
            My children, Kristen, Russ, and Aaron arrived one by one; his mother and brothers arrived the next day. The arrangements were made; the visitation would be Saturday and the memorial service on Sunday. We marveled at how God buoyed us through the whole weekend. I know the prayers of the saints sustained us. I have pondered since then just how and why I did so well that day. I believe one thing that was a tremendous blessing was Ron’s wish to be cremated. He had told me for years if I ever put him in a box and put him in the ground, he would come back and haunt me. At least that decision was made and out of my hands but there were so many more to make. 
            Kristen and I put together a memory table and a picture collage of Ron with each of us over the years. It was comforting and very therapeutic to go through photos and select memories of our wedding, his Navy days, building our home, fun times with each of the children, and the precious few photos we had made of him with his only grandchild, Emma, just four months old when he died. The memory table consisted of all his plaques, awards, letters of commendation, and pictures of the ships he had worked on over the years. We were able to share a side of him most acquaintances didn’t know and many said how much they appreciated it. We opened the memorial service to comments from family and friends. We laughed, we cried, we were all blessed!
            Ron wanted to be sprinkled in the Gulf waters of MS where he loved to fish.  I, too, have decided to be cremated and have already made my arrangements so the children can follow through with the same measures for me. This has also been very therapeutic and I give praise to God for His comfort and peace during those first difficult days. God is sovereign and I have received great comfort from the Lord in many ways. Among them knowing:
·     Ron is no longer in constant pain from fibromyalgia.
·     God knows the end from the beginning and I trust and believe that His wisdom has prevailed.
·     God could have aroused me that night; awakened my spirit to go to Ron, but He let me sleep so peacefully it was almost as if He and Ron were having a special time of their own together; sort of like they were taking care of business.
·     God is in control of all things and if He had wanted a different outcome, we would have had a different outcome.
·     I know where Ron is and I know I’ll see him again some day. 
            I’ve since learned that those first few days were the easy part of this ordeal and the hard part was just beginning. Our empty nest was not content anymore. I was given books on grief from well-meaning friends. All they did was remind me of the pain I felt instead of helping me to get relief from it. One friend suggested that I should write the book for which I was searching. Another recommended that I write a letter to Ron, putting down on paper all of my feelings: anger, loneliness, regret, guilt, all of it. Others suggested that I should attend grief recovery groups. All I knew is that I didn’t want to have grief or even talk about it . . . I just wanted to have my memories. 
            Bottom line, I didn’t do anything except go to work every day and come home every afternoon to live in my bed . . . not my bedroom, but my bed! I would watch television, read the mail, take a nap, wake up, eat dinner, go back to sleep for the night. I was thankful when the alarm would sound so I could get up and start my routine again. Work gave me a reason to get up; to keep my mind busy on daily duties. 
            At home, however, there was still Ron—thinking of him, longing for him, lonesome for him, and crying out to God to help me get through another day. Although my desire for God’s Word waned, I still went to church because I had a responsibility to conduct the open assembly for our Sunday School. God faithfully gave me a message every week and I was able to share it but my heart was somewhere else.
            I felt if I could make it to the first anniversary of Ron’s passing, I would be over the hump and my life would finally fall into place again; my emotions, my thoughts, my desire for the things of God, everything that had been numb for one year would awaken and I would be alive again; but it doesn’t take one year…it takes so much longer! 
            Three months after that first anniversary was Mother’s Day. My children couldn’t be with me but they all called and I assured them that I would be fine! The tears began on Friday night and by Saturday afternoon I was calling my pastor to withdraw from my church duties the next day. He immediately put me on the prayer chain; the prayers went up and the phone started ringing. Kristen called and said it was time I thought about moving to TN to be closer to her. My first thoughts were, “I can’t leave my home, my job, my church!  My life has been here for 23 years.” I told her I couldn’t promise anything but I promised that I would begin to pray. 
            A week later while in the shower, I was again praying for the direction God wanted me to take. The water was spraying down and I actually felt God physically move across me sensing Him saying so unmistakably, “You are released!” My house sold in three hours, I gave six weeks notice at work, and I was in Tennessee by the end of July.
            Now, when I have the opportunity, I tell other stubborn husbands, “If Ron knew he was leaving me a widow at age fifty-four, he would have gone to the doctor sooner!” 
            If God chooses for me to continue my life alone, then I bow to His will; however, I still feel the deep loss of a continued life with my love. It is said that time heals and grief lessens and life goes on, and it does during the day-to-day activities; but the special days, the birthdays, anniversaries, Christmases, and the day he died will never diminish. On those days I sense the glaring reminder of how much I miss him and how I see my future alone!  I say alone by choice for I feel a reserved contentment as a widow.  He was the only love of my life!
             Ron never knew what to give me on birthdays, anniversaries, or Christmas. When I got my ears pierced, he blessed me with diamond, emerald, and opal studs. I told him what I really appreciated would be a nice card that spoke from his heart and conveyed exactly how he felt.
            Here is the last anniversary card he gave me (Christmas 2002) before he died in February 2003:

For Our Anniversary

Somehow, beyond all expression, I knew right from the start
that you’d be the light, the sweetness, the comfort in my life, my heart . . .
Each year we’ve journeyed together we’ve arrived somewhere new . . .
and we’ve forged a bond of trust, creating one life out of two . . .
And in countless tender moments of appreciation and care,
we’ve discovered ways without words to nurture the joy we share . . .
So today, as we talk about memories, I look toward the future we’ll spend
with confidence in each other, in love without end.
Happy Anniversary

 Summer, 2011—
            It is now eight years later and I can say I have survived.
            I am still single but I am not alone.
            My life is filled with God, family, and friends.
            I have three wonderful grandgirls and my children are close by.
            I am pursuing what I have always wanted to do . . . write!
            It is not a betrayal to say I have thrived, but I do confess that I am content.

No comments:

Post a Comment