Friday, May 1, 2015

WHAT IF WE COULDN’T CRY?

Danna Shirley

That is a good question.  It happened to me.  I had been going through the usual hot flashes for several years when suddenly an overflow of tears was added to the mix.  I cried at the oddest times over absolutely nothing.  This went on for a few months until I pulled into my garage one afternoon, sat and gripped the steering wheel, and sobbed uncontrollably.  I finally called my daughter and confessed my emotional upheaval.  “Honey, I can’t live like this! I guess I should go see a doctor.”

The appointment was made.  Dr. Crenshaw listened to me through tears and then did the blood work.  I was in the throes of menopause.  Duh!!!  He prescribed an anti-depressant that would help level out my emotional roller coaster.  The first pill worked wonders.  My tears dried up and I felt sane again.

I went on like this for a few weeks and then I noticed that I wasn’t crying . . . AT ALL!  Even during times that I knew I should be crying; should have some kind of emotional response.  I called my daughter again.  “Honey, I can’t live like this!”

I had talked to a friend whose father had died . . . no response.
I watched a sad movie . . . no response.
I watched a happy movie . . . no response.

All these events would have normally brought tears as I shared in the other person’s emotions but there was no response.  I hated NOT crying even worse than when I WAS crying.

I cut down the dosage of my medication.  Over a period of eight months I reduced it until I was taking only ¼ of a pill every third day, then finally discontinued it altogether.

Now I feel that I am back to normal.  I cry when it is appropriate but I’m not a basket case anymore.

Yes, tears are necessary.  They are a good thing.  A good cry is refreshing and cleanses out the emotions we sometimes hold inside.  I will always want to be able to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment