Thursday, December 24, 2015

MY FIRST EARTHQUAKE

by Danna Shirley

Living in California the first twenty years of my life I was familiar with various degrees of earthquakes. I had always heard about them the day after when someone else would ask, “Did you feel that earthquake last night?” I don’t know why, but it never woke me from my sound sleep.
The first earthquake I ever actually felt, however, was in the Philippines. My husband, Ron, was stationed there for a short seven months and during our return to the states we had an overnight stay at Clark Air Force Base. There were no accommodations other than a hospital ward so the men were separated from the women. Ron went to his ward and our two children stayed with me. Kristen was six at the time and Russell was five weeks old.   
We were all exhausted by the time we got settled in and fell asleep. I knew we had many more hours ahead of us before we landed on the west coast so I forced myself to sleep as soundly as I could until Russ would wake me for a feeding. In the wee hours of the morning something shook me awake. I frantically opened my eyes in time to see the light swaying overhead. I looked down at Russ who was sound asleep. I glanced over at Kristen sitting up in bed with a look of complete bewilderment on her face. I scooped up Russ and grabbed Kristen’s hand and off we ran.  I had no idea how to even get out of the building so we just followed the mass of humans fleeing ahead of us.
Dawn was just beginning to creep in to divulge the sight. It was almost amusing to see everyone standing outside in their pajamas, a long line silently circling the building, looking back where we had just felt secure in our beds. Ron found us in the crowd and I assured him that we were all fine. It seemed like we stood there forever. I don’t know what was going through anyone else’s mind, but I was waiting for the building to collapse. 
My memory banks were replaying all the scenes I had ever viewed of the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco. I did not want to enter that building again. Eventually the “all clear” was given and we were told it was safe to return to our ward. Well, I did return but I did not sleep soundly. 
As we readied ourselves the next morning to continue our flight on to the states, I gladly said goodbye to the Philippines and hello to San Francisco . . . where they have only small earthquakes . . . ha, ha! 
Manila, Philippines earthquake on March 18, 1977 was a magnitude 7.0


No comments:

Post a Comment