Sunday, December 27, 2015

SWEET SLEEP

Danna Shirley

            I’ve snored for at least the last six years (2009). I could be in dreamland as soon as my head hit the pillow, which frustrated my husband because he had insomnia and took medication to help him sleep. He certainly didn’t need to contend with my night sounds and would jostle me to turn over, which might interrupt me for about thirty seconds.

Obstruction ventilation apnée sommeil.svg            Since moving to Bartlett, TN I’ve experienced more than my share of colds, coughs, and congestion. I finally asked my doctor why I was getting sick so often. He asked if I was getting enough sleep at night. Actually, I haven’t slept well for the last few years, waking up several times for a throat lozenge or a drink of water because my mouth and throat were so dry. I would gasp and gag just to gain a good breathe. The doctor said my resistance was low from lack of sleep and suggested I go for a sleep study to determine if I might have sleep apnea. The study determined that I quit breathing more than nineteen times per hour.

             The treatment for this condition is to use a CPAP machine that forces air into your nose to keep your throat open. I was anxious for a good night’s sleep so I looked forward to receiving my machine. The technician said it might take a few weeks to become accustomed. Sleep medication was prescribed to help me relax so I could tolerate the tube over my nose. One side of the machine has a water well that keeps the air moist. The other side has a hose that goes from the machine to a mask that fits over the nose and is held on by straps around the forehead and neck. 

            My first night was very uncomfortable but I seemed to tolerate it. My sleep went downhill from there. By the fourth night I was lying awake listening to the “whoosh, whoosh, whoosh” of the machine as the air entered my head. I tried not using the water well one night to see if I might fare any better. No help! I tried sleeping in my recliner one night to see if sitting up would help. No way! By the sixth night I was able to sleep seven hours without any wakeups.

ResMed Swift™ FX / Swift FX for Her Nasal Pillows System            Even though I look like an elephant, I am now getting a good night’s sleep and I appreciate my machine! It accompanies me for all overnight stays and I even take it on the plane with me as medical equipment.

            Now, seven years later (2016), I have eliminated the water well and the mask is more abbreviated on my face. I wouldn't dare be without my machine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment