Thursday, September 7, 2017

ARCHAEOLOGY

by Danna Shirley
Writing assignment: choose an "ology"...
Although archeology is the study of the culture of ancient humans, it seems to also be akin to a vintage antique shop. I have considered myself an archeologist when I visit my sister, Paula, in Napa, CA. She is the quintessential archeologist of the family. Beginning at a very early age she took interest in family heirlooms and their history. She began collecting “collections” and for every birthday and Christmas she was given a book on some vintage item . . . clothing, glassware, jewelry, furniture; she scoured them like any archeologist at an ancient dig.

She has always been the “go-to” gal with questions from her family and friends on garage sale finds, estate sales, junk shops. When I’ve been with her on a “dig,” my first gravitational pull is toward the books. If I find something interesting and decide to buy it, she might say, “That’s too much; it’s not worth it.” In my estimation, if I want this book, I’ll pay the $2! She looks for the bargain to resell, having established zones in many antique shop corners. She even found a silver ring in a cigar box full of buttons, screws, nuts/bolts, etc. for only $3 at a yard sale.   

On one of my visits, I took the liberty of snapping several pictures of her vast collections and she told me that wasn’t all of them. I decided I wouldn’t “dig” around in her 5,000-square foot home, her seven double-car garages, or her two attics to uncover any more. Here’s what I found:
Strawberry glassware         Crocheted hot pads              Music boxes                 Dice
Rolling pins                        Monkeys                                Lenox China                Ivy
Roosters                              Milk glass                             Jewelry boxes              Marbles
Measuring cups                  Perfume bottles                     Cowboy boots             Cows
Weeping gold                      Buttons                                  Clothing labels            etc.

Besides these generic collections, she has taken into custody many of our family heirlooms for safekeeping, not that they would ever wind up in a yard sale or junk shop. These are special to all of us because they were hand-made by our parents and grandparents:
Trench art from WWII         Carvings         Model-A restoration         Smoking stand    
Hand-made quilts   etc.   

And personal items such as eye glasses, an early 20th century shaving brush and strap, old letters, cameras, a 1940s radio, a family Bible, a 1940s fur coat, sun bonnet, apron, late 1800s stereoscope, desk, a mule harness made into a mirror, etc.

Paula also buys sale items she doesn’t need . . . just in case she or a friend might need it. I wanted a new box of colored markers one day and told her I was going to Wal-Mart. She asked what I needed and sent me upstairs to her attic. OMG, she had shelves full of school supplies; pencils, tablets, crayons, binders, etc. After that I learned to go shopping at Paula’s Attic and Antique Collectibles (her business card). I also go shopping at Paula’s Boutique for many of my blouses. I am her “go-to” hand-me-down gal as well. I don’t think I’ve bought any clothes in years!

Yes, I can go to my sisters on an archaeology dig and find just about anything I want. Thank you, Paula, sweet sister of mine! ðŸ˜Š

P.S.
My sister's house burned to the ground in October 2017 from a fire that swept down into the Napa Valley. She saved a few of the family heirlooms but nothing else. It was a like a death in the family for all of us! 😒

No comments:

Post a Comment