Tuesday, August 21, 2018

THE JIGSAW PUZZLE OF LIFE

by Danna Shirley
12 Autism Awareness Heart Pins 1" Puzzle Piece Lot of 12I asked my granddaughter recently if the house across the street from her school was for sale, would she want to live there? I thought the convenience would be a plus since her mom drives the roads daily with all their school schedules and extracurricular activities. She said, “No Way! I like my house.”

I pondered all the moves I’ve made as a Navy wife and how miserable I would have been if I didn’t accept each move as looking forward instead of holding back. I told her I’ve learned that wherever I am is home and that keeps me content all the time.

All the moves I’ve made…eight states (CA, AL, MS, FL, WA, NJ, MD, TN) and three countries (Bermuda, Philippines, Japan) since first marrying a sailor in 1968 has confirmed to me we are just pieces in a puzzle, each one fitting into our place to complete a perfect picture there and then we move on to our next destination.

Which brings me to my most recent move. For a few months before going to California I felt God was ruffling my feathers and blowing up my comfort zone. I prayed for a long time whether He wanted me to take my puzzle piece out of Bartlett First Assembly and fit it into a puzzle somewhere else. 

I spoke to my pastor through many tears.Our conversation went well and he agreed that I must follow God's leading. Some may believe leaving a church is because of some great transgression or conflict within the church or hierarchy. Not so! God has a plan and a purpose for each one of us and He places us into His picture puzzle as He wishes.

For me, only God knows the end from the beginning. I recognize this position all too well for He has moved me several times in my thirty-eight years with Him, and with each move, God has given me a new "family."

Last Sunday I visited a much larger church than I am used to but I felt at home right away. Although I usually sit in the back, this time I gravitated to a lone woman in a fifth-row seat and asked if I could join her. Clare navigated me through the weekly activities and where to get my visitor's gift bag.

She and I were able to get better acquainted in the lobby and I learned she is caregiver to her mother who has had dementia for the last eighteen years. I could immediately relate to her since my mother, too, has had dementia for several years. Maybe this move is for me to find Clare. I am excited to see where God will take me in this new family.

No comments:

Post a Comment