Tuesday, March 19, 2019

GROANINGS THAT CANNOT BE UTTERED

©Danna Shirley
“Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the Mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God." (Rom 8:26-27)

I’ve groaned in my spirit many times, especially when words could not be formed in my mind and reasoning eluded me. How do I know what to pray? How do I know what to petition God for when I don’t know the right direction? Only God knows the end from the beginning. Only God! I have been in deepdeep intercession, with groanings that could not be uttered, only three times in my spiritual life.

The first time I was a fairly new Christian (1982) and newly baptized in the Holy Spirit. I was attending a prayer meeting with ladies from my church at Cedar Lake Christian Assembly, Biloxi, MS. We were in someone’s home and offering prayer requests at the time. With each request, the group went to prayer for that need. My need was for my brother-in-law who had just gone into rehab for alcoholism.
As we began to pray, I stood and raised my hands to the Lord. All of a sudden I was groaning so deep within my spirit that I sounded like another person. God was in control and even though I was startled by what was happening, I did not quench the Spirit. I felt everyone around me rise and form a circle, laying hands on me and praying in the Spirit. My deep intercession stopped just as quickly as it had begun. It was over, almost like the prayer had been answered and we could move on to the next request.
I called my mother-in-law later that day to tell her of my experience and ask what it meant. She told me later what she learned. At the moment I was praying for my brother-in-law, he was going through extreme withdrawal and considered walking out of rehab forever. My intercession helped him through the physical pain and he remained in the program.

My second experience with “groanings” came at the altar of Vancleave Assembly of God, Vancleave, MS in 2001. This particular Sunday a lady visitor went to the altar. She spoke privately with the pastor and he began to pray. She was slain in the Spirit and as she lay on the floor, I went over and knelt beside her. I laid hands on her and began to pray softly in the Spirit. I didn’t know the need but all of a sudden I was groaning and crying. My chest was racked with pain and such heaviness that I could hardly breathe. I rocked back and forth, back and forth on my knees. I could not stop praying for this woman.
When the intercession finally broke, I stood, grabbed my purse and Bible, and fled the sanctuary. I didn’t want to face anyone, especially this stranger who probably thought I was crazy and irrational. With my first intercession I knew who I was praying for and why. But this experience was a mystery to me. I did not know this lady and I had not heard her request. I never learned anything about her. Maybe her need was only in that one place for that one moment and God used me to intercede for her.

My third “groanings” occurred at the altar of Bartlett 1st Assembly of God, Bartlett, TN (December 2011). My dear friend had been suffering from an incident of physical abuse by her ex-husband. She had been in severe pain for many months and was on a waiting list for a hip replacement due to the injuries inflicted by this man. On her way into the sanctuary, she told me she could hardly get out of bed that morning but God had told her, “Go to church!” and so she was there.
The sermon was on Habakkuk’s prayer:  “Lord, I have heard the report about You and I fear. O Lord, revive Your work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy.” (Habakkuk 3:2)
The altar call was given but my friend didn’t move. I knew God had summoned her to church for a blessing so I motioned for her to meet me at the altar. We stood in front of one of the deacons and I laid hands on her and began to pray softly in the Spirit. Soon I was in deep intercession. Then I felt we were surrounded by others. My “groanings” subsided as we all lifted our prayers to heaven on her behalf. We don’t know why we weep before the Lord for others but those who are knowledgeable in intercession rejoice over this gift.
As a former Methodist who has experienced the baptism in the Holy Spirit, no one can tell me it’s not real. I have been blessed by this touch from God and will never deny it. I also feel sorry for those who reach up to touch God and will only go so far and no farther. They quench the Spirit, maybe because of fear of the unknown, maybe because of judgment by others, maybe because they’re satisfied by a limited experience with God, but my prayer is . . .
Lord, revive Your work in the midst of the years . . .
make it known . . . remember mercy.

Even Christ interceded with “groanings” . . .
“In the days of His flesh, He offered up both prayers 
and supplications with loud crying and tears 
to the One able to save Him from death
and He was heard because of His piety.” (Heb 5:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment