Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Invasion of Privacy

© 2012 by Danna

In January of 2005 I had my purse stolen in a downtown Nashville parking lot while attending a show at the Grand Ole Opry. With all the horror stories told of people who have had their identities stolen I naturally and immediately reported a fraud alert to Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. I guess the culprit took only my cash and threw my purse away because nothing was ever reported against my credit. I should have left it at that and considered myself fortunate.

Over six years later I am still dealing with the fraud alert that was posted with these three agencies. Every time I try to get credit, the fraud alert pops up and interferes with the process and my credit is delayed, if not totally denied.

The final straw was when I applied for a Chase Credit Card through Southwest Airlines. Part of the package deal was to receive two free travel tickets when opening an account. I thought that was an excellent offer because I travel to CA quite often and could definitely take advantage of those free tickets. Soon I received a letter from JPMorgan Chase Bank saying, DENIED—UNABLE TO VERIFY FRAUD ALERT IN CREDIT BUREAU!

No more! I decided to remove the fraud alert and take my life back. I went online . . . nothing was user friendly and there were no options to remove a fraud alert. I called the 800 numbers and was left on hold for hours (well, not hours but it seemed like it), until I finally decided to just write them all a letter (8/19/10). Their replies gave me specific instructions on what information was needed for them to comply with my request.
Date of Birth
Social Security Number
One copy of a government issued identification card with picture
One copy of a recent utility bill displaying name and current mailing address

I received a nice email (8/26/10) from Experian saying that the fraud alert had been removed from their agency but that I would have to contact Equifax and TransUnion directly, which I had already done. I never heard from either of them. I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security that all had been done when I received Experian’s email.

Last week I had a Sears representative, Thomas, give me a quote to replace the windows in my home. He hauled in samples of windows, samples of cut out corners of windows, brochures, and made an excellent sales pitch which included an offer of eighteen months interest free. Not bad . . . I like to pay for things over time on their dime.

So Thomas called in for my credit report on his cell phone. Citibank then called me on my house phone to ask a few questions because there was a FRAUD ALERT on my credit. I thought, been there, done that . . . so I said, “No problem; ask me some questions!”

“What was your license plate on your 1997 Diamonte?” and she gave me four choices.

“WHAT!!! THAT WAS FOURTEEN YEARS AGO — I DON’T REMEMBER FOURTEEN YEARS AGO!”

“I’m sorry we can’t continue because you answered incorrectly.”

“Wait, ask me another question?”

“I’m sorry we can’t continue. We’ll be sending you something in the mail. It will tell you what to do and then we can proceed with your application.”

I looked at Thomas. He was downtrodden that his three hours spent with me did not bring fruition. I showed him my credit file where I had tried to remove the fraud alert. He just shook his head.

I showed him a copy of my excellent credit score. He shook his head and started packing up his window samples.

“Well, now what?” I waited for the letter from Sears, which came in the mail one week later. Equifax was the culprit who had never removed the fraud alert from my report. The letter gave an 800 number to call and a notice that if Sears did not hear from me within 10-14 business days, my application would be declined.

I do understand that these precautions are for my own protection but what is so hard about removing a fraud alert? Is this an invasion of my privacy, too?  

No comments:

Post a Comment