Tuesday, April 24, 2012

CAN YOU CURL UP WITH A GOOD COMPUTER?

© 2012 by Danna

A person with books is wealthy. Oh, I don’t mean in the sense of financial wealth. I mean wealthy in knowledge. I’m sure there has been at least one book written about anything you would ever want to know . . . even an instruction booklet on how to use a can opener!

A lover of books savors every page. Books reveal a person’s interests and sometimes their personality or character. As guests enter a home, they have a very good idea of the kind of person who lives there by just perusing their book shelves. Valuable books would be on display in the best bookcase. 

There is a difference, though, between valuable and valued. One of my most valued books is my mother’s Bible given to her by her parents the Christmas she went off to college in 1937. Another is a storybook my mother read to me as a little girl. The cover is missing and the pages are yellowed but I value this book not just because I have fond memories of the stories, but because my mother valued it enough to keep it for me until I was grown. When she presented it to me recently, I teared up and went straight to my favorite story, which I still remembered—“Quack, said Jerusha.”

There are books that have changed through their publication history, especially history books. Fifty years ago historical accounts were depicted quite differently than they are in present publications; that is why I collect older history books. I like to compare the differences (some not so subtle) and to take note of something that was considered quite important to be taught about history half a century ago to what is considered important today. As times change and books are “updated” to reflect current conditions, culture, and attitudes, something is lost if no accurate record is kept of the past. 

To own a first edition is a real treat. First editions are collector’s items, especially if signed by the author. I have a few signed books by current authors but I will never see their value in my lifetime and signed classics I could never afford to have on my shelves.

I regard my books as I do my children—treasures! I love snuggling down in a big comfortable chair with an afghan over my legs and just get lost in a good book. A book can hold me satisfied for a very long time. I don’t mind sharing my treasures but I can’t bear not having them returned. 

When I am dead and gone, I hope my books are valued by my children and grandchildren. Not just because they are books but because of what they had to say. There is always a message and a lesson to be gained through someone’s story. Biographies are quite interesting; the telling of someone’s life, their ups and downs, their joys and sorrows (we all go through them), and the lessons life has taught that they are willing to pass along to the reader. Life’s lessons taught from someone else’s crisis helps us to avoid them for ourselves—hopefully!

Now, what if there were no more books to hold, collect, and cherish? The world wide web (www) has almost eliminated the need for books. Just the flip of a switch and the click of a mouse and information needed on any subject appears before our eyes. The flickering of the light from that screen and the incessant click, click, click of movements are bothersome. As research has become instantaneous, books have become obsolete . . . almost

Can you curl up with a good computer or lie back on your pillow at night with a computer on your chest until you fall asleep? Can you sit in a waiting room for your appointment and bring along a good computer to keep you company? And, oh, the tragedy to get stuck in traffic waiting for the lanes to open and not have something to read! 

When I was faced with a move recently, I knew I would have to downsize my belongings, as well as my books. As I faced the challenge of going through my shelves deciding what I would keep or donate to the church or Good Will, I felt such a sorrow in having to give up even one of my books. 

Sometimes when I’m in conversation with a friend and a topic is mentioned, I think to myself, I have just the book she needs! Of course, since I’ve unpacked and shelved my books, I miss those that I gave away and I think, Oh, I wish I still had that one so I could share it. I have purchased several copies of some books so that I can have my own copy and give away the others as special treats.

No, I don’t think we will ever be without books. There are too many booklovers in the world to allow that to happen. I can see all of us hoarding our books in vaults before we would ever let them be lost.

Have YOU read any good books lately?

P.S.
Kindle E-Reader’s have now entered our lives. I don’t own one and don’t know if I ever will. I guess I’m from the old school. I don’t like change . . . although, cut and paste and highlight and delete are pretty wonderful over manual typewriters. J


Book quotes:


If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, you must be the one to write it.--Toni Morrison


“Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” –C. S. Lewis

“No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.” –Confucius

“After a couple minutes of reading, the words disappear and a movie with every detail plays in my head.”

“There are certain fictional character’s deaths you will never recover from. Ever!”

“Novels aren’t just happy escapes; they are slivers of people’s souls, nailed to the pages, dripping ink from veins of wood pulp.”

“I always buy another book when I still have ten to read.”

“The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library.” –Albert Einstein

“I’m not to be trusted in a book store with a credit card.”

“There is no such thing as too many books. However, there is such a thing as not enough room.”

“Dear people who put STICKERS right across the synopsis of a book. There are no words to describe the SEVERITY and EVILNESS of your deeds.”

“If I’m ever stranded, I hope it’s in a bookstore.”

1 comment: