Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SIMPLER TIMES

by Danna Shirley

            Some of my fondest memories are of the creativity of my mother.  She grew up on a farm in Arkansas and lived through the depression, so there was no money in those days for buying toys or other frivolous things.  Money bought food and the few clothes that she washed out daily and left to dry overnight.  She married my dad at age 22 and they started their family immediately.  I was the last daughter of three when she again found herself with no money for expensive toys . . . but she was creative, and we didn’t lack for play things.
            Even now I can smell the concoction of flour, salt, oil, and water that Mother mixed together to make play dough.  Our fun began when we added the different drops of food coloring to each batch and mixed it up.  It stuck to our fingers until we could get it thoroughly mixed and then we would make our shapes . . . faces, boxes, worms…or just use cookie cutters.  When the dough was played with beyond keeping, we would shape our final delights and let them harden for posterity.  Of course, posterity only lasted until Mother cleaned our room.
            I remember her tracing our feet on a piece of cardboard and cutting them out, lacing a strap through our toes and around our ankles to keep them on.  I felt like I was a princess walking around in those homemade sandals.  I also knew that I could be pretty rough on them because all I needed was another piece of cardboard and I was a princess again.
            Summer afternoons we would chase butterflies, very rarely catching them, and at dusk we would lie out on the warm pavement in front of the house and watch the stars, seeing what kind of creatures we could shape with our imagination.
Then there were the mud pies out in the back yard.  Mother would give us a bucket of water, a shovel, an old piece of scrap board and we would plop ourselves down upon a mound of dirt, make a hole, and fill it with water.  We would mix and mix our little sprinkles of dirt until we had a nice hole of mud.  Then we patted out our pancake size mud pies and lay them out to dry on the board.  We usually decorated a face on each before they completely dried in the sun.
Then, because we were so-o-o muddy, Mother would spray us down with the garden hose or set up the sprinkler and let us run and jump over it and get wet.  The end of the day brought our tired little bodies in to be bathed and dried and dressed up in our warm flannel jammies.   Special nights we were treated to popcorn and a program on television . . . Jackie Gleason or Ed Sullivan.   
I remember, too, a big vacant field at the top of the hill where we lived.  It’s now overgrown with houses and freeway and shopping, but when I was a little girl, cows were on the upper side.  We would drag big pieces of cardboard up to the edge of the fence and slide down on the overgrown grass.  We were always worn out by the time we got home and I’m sure Mother was glad we were ready to sit down and rest for a while.
And, oh, the forts we would make under the kitchen table with the chairs pulled out and a big blanket thrown over the top, which hung down.  Milk and cookies tasted sweeter under that makeshift fortress.
Mother was a school teacher in lower elementary and was even my substitute teacher a few times before taking a permanent position.  A real treat for me was when Dad lined one wall of our garage with blackboards and I would “play school” for hours and hours.  As I grew older than the class Mother was teaching, she enlisted my help to grade papers and decorate bulletin boards.  One of my favorite vacations was our trip across country from California to New York.  We stopped at every sight-seeing attraction it was possible to see; most were educational but we had fun, too.  Maybe she hoped I would become a school teacher some day but my first typing class sent me in another direction and shorthand confirmed it . . . I would be a secretary.
I wish families today would give their children and grandchildren the opportunity to exercise their creative juices, to have the joy of producing something made with their own hands, and the satisfaction and pride of showing off a job well done. 
Yes, my mother shaped me, and I have many wonderful memories of my childhood.  Thanks, Mom, I love you . . . Elsie Mae (Daugherty) Goines!!!
May, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment