Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SNAP BEANS and TURNIP GREENS

by Danna Shirley 

          I know I’ve provided some laughs to my in-laws over the years…and they’ve given me a few, too.  It’s that culture thing, ya know…the South vs. the West Coast.
            Anyway, Ron and I were staying with his family in Montgomery during one of our transitions and Gran mentioned she needed some snap beans for dinner.  I thought to myself that I didn’t exactly know what snap beans were but I was sure I could find them when I got to the store and read the labels on the cans, so I volunteered to go shopping for her.
            I perused the vegetable aisle; up one side and down the other; up again and down again, but I never saw any cans labeled snap beans.  I finally found a stock boy and asked him to direct me.  He said they were down the aisle on the right.  I looked … nothing was labeled snap beans. 
            I said again, “I’m sorry but I guess you’re just going to have to go down there and show me yourself!”  He trooped down the aisle and laid his finger on a can of Green Beans!  I thought, “These are snap beans?”  I picked up a couple of cans and checked out. 
            It was a long time before I admitted to the family that I was totally lost in the grocery store that night.  Then I asked them, “Why do you call them snap beans?”
            Their answer… “Because they snap when you break them apart!”
             Another time I thought I would surprise Ron with some fresh turnip greens.  Since I don’t eat “grits or greens,” I wasn’t sure what they would look like but knew I would find them in the fresh produce area.  After buying what I was looking for, I entered the house and announced that I couldn’t find any “greens” but I did find these “disconnected turnips” and proudly pulled out a rutabaga.  
            They roared and I have never lived it down.  They knew they had a lot of work ahead of them with me in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment