Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A SCHOOLMASTER'S DIARY

The following was a Creative Writing assignment given at the Senior Center where I attend. We were to take an expired copyrighted journal and add a new entry from our own perspective. The one I chose was found at this website: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/51633/51633-0.txt

by Stuart Petre Brodie Mais
Extracts from the Journal of Patrick Traherne, M.A., sometime Assistant Master at Radchester and Marlton, Great Britain. Patrick Traherne, only son of the Rev. Thomas Traherne of North Darley Vicarage, Derbyshire, was born on July 14, 1885. He was educated at Rugby and New College, Oxford, and immediately upon leaving the University he became a Public School master. He wrote in his journal:

September 20, 1909
For the first few days I was talking over their heads the whole time. In mathematics I went too fast. In English I took it for granted that they knew something about the subject: I am gradually finding out that they know nothing. What is worse, only a very few of them want to know anything. They exhaust all their energies and keenness on games: they have none left for work. It is looked upon as a gross breach of good form to take anything but the most perfunctory interest in class. I find that I am falling into the most insidious of traps. I am picking out favorites.

The following are the journal entries I added:
October 5, 1909
After only a few weeks with my students I am very impressed with Dawson Billingsley and Stanley Rutherford, two very intelligent and capable young men. They have matured beyond the petty games of youth and desire to move into a realistic goal for their lives. It is my goal to help them reach that end.   I have assigned them research into inventions and technology being developed in this new century. I look forward to their findings and hopefully will also engage in their future endeavors.

November 8, 1909
Billingsley and Rutherford returned with their collaborative findings. They chose the fledgling birth of the automobile industry. They still have a long way to go in their research but this is the subject matter they have submitted to me.

March 3, 1910
The dawn of a new decade is upon us. This century has already transpired like a freight train gaining speed. Billingsley and Rutherford, now just Dawson and Stanley to me, as we have engaged in warmer pursuits than academia—dinner at my house, playing chess, meeting their prospective brides if it comes to that. A great friendship has transpired and I feel I’ve become a part of a greater good than any of us can imagine.

June 21, 1910
Dawson and Stan have reached into a new era of transportation that appears to have taken hold of mankind, and tipped it on its ear. Those of us who grew up in the last century thought the automobile was a passing phase due to the lack of roads, gasoline stations at proper intervals, and of course repair facilities which are always needed at inopportune times. However, it seems that my two young friends have taken a fancy to propelling this industry into a higher calling for their lives. I wish them well and will endeavor to help them along the way.    

No comments:

Post a Comment