Saturday, May 14, 2016

ON THE CARPATHIA

by Danna Shirley
Assignment in Writing Class was to insert a fictional character into the Titanic tragedy:

Daddy says it won’t be much longer on this boat that rocks and rocks. Captain Rostron told me it is a ship not a boat. I’ll have to remember that. It was a lovely dinner tonight sitting at the Captain’s table. Oh, how I do wish I wouldn’t get so seasick.
            Daddy says we should only be in Fiume for two years while he teaches at the Naval Academy.  It’s just me and Daddy now and I have to go where he goes because I have no one else. What will it be like for me in Austria-Hungary? I will start school soon. I’m a little afraid!
It’s lonely on this ship with no one my age. I wish I had someone to play with or at least talk to. I walked around the deck this morning after breakfast and then again at noonday and also after the supper meal at the Captain’s table. It was cold and crisp outside but at least it was something to do and I’m getting my exercise.

*********************
Early this morning we were awakened by a steward telling us we had changed course to rescue passengers from a sinking ship, the Titanic. It was very cold in my stateroom. I found Daddy and we ran up on deck. There were icebergs all around. The crew was bringing people aboard from lifeboats and passing out blankets and hot soups and drinks.  
It was becoming very crowded with women and children. Daddy was helping all he could so I wandered through the crowd. I didn’t know what to say. They all looked blank and lifeless. Some cried softly; some were hysterical. It was so cold!
I was told they were in shock. I didn’t know how to be helpful so I tried to play with the little ones. And I asked others what I could do. Some just wanted to hold my hand or cry on my shoulder. It was breaking my heart.
After all the Titanic passengers were aboard Captain Rostron made the announcement that approximately 1,500 people had drowned but we had rescued over 700. He also held a service and moment of silence over the disaster site for those lost at sea. Then he asked for our help in assigning places to sleep for those who were rescued until we could transport them back to New York; and spare clothes, blankets, and personal items to make them comfortable.
Although I only had room for one more, I found the purser to volunteer my room. He told me to make it ready and he would send down someone after processing. He also said they would send food later. Food! I hadn’t even thought of food but I guess we would be hungry.
I was so sad. I went through my things and laid out shoes, stockings, nightclothes, under things, and some of my best dresses. Then I went through my hair ribbons and matched them to the dresses. It was almost like a fashion show . . . a very gloomy and unhappy fashion show. 
*********************
Ellen Wesley finally knocked at 2:00 p.m. and I opened the door. She looked just a few years older than me; probably about 16. I tried to make her welcome with a warm hug. “Hi, I’m Clara Teagan. Please come in and make yourself at home.”
            Her dress was tattered, probably from jumping into the lifeboat, but I didn’t act at all like I noticed. We sat on the bed and she smiled weakly at the dresses I laid out for her. I urged her to try them on and our fashion show began. Ellen slowly warmed up to me and I am so glad.
            The purser sent sandwiches, pudding, and mint tea for our dinner and we were asked to stay in our stateroom because the ship was very crowded on deck. We had nothing to do now but wait to reach New York . . . wait and cry and pray.
            We stayed up late into the night. Ellen was still numb for she expounded with little emotion on the details of the horrible ordeal. She was traveling with her younger brother to live with strangers in America, because her momma and daddy were both dead. Now her only living relative was gone and she had seen him slip under the water as her lifeboat floated away. Now she was all alone! 
           I know what I have to do now—ask Daddy if Ellen can live with us. She has no place to go and no family left. I have no momma and no sister either. We need each other. Even though tragedy brought us together, God has worked a miracle for us both. 



No comments:

Post a Comment