Thursday, January 14, 2016

MEMORIES

by Danna Shirley
The following short story was submitted in the Creative Writing Class at Bartlett Senior Center, Bartlett, TN. The assignment was to use the random words below (or any form thereof) and write something interesting. 

substantial ~ sailing ~ memory ~ permit ~ oak tree
conscience  ~ fragrant ~ stretch

            As I looked at the sun streaming down on the kids swing set in the back yard and sipped my coffee, the memory of my Dad’s fishing boat parked out under the oak tree kept invading my thoughts.  A trip to the shore instead of the mountains seemed like a nice family vacation for this summer.  Besides, a dip in the ocean was an experience every child should have at least once in life.
            Another sip of coffee brought a vision of Dad casting out into the lake for a fresh water catch.  He loved lake fishing but the fragrant aroma of the sea and going out in the deep blue was my passion.  I had done a substantial amount of sailing in my youth, so the thought of renting a boat and really doing it up right was on the list.
 sailboat sailboats boats boat   transportation088 clip art transportation water             As I mentally focused on leasing a beach house and proudly demonstrating my sailing abilities to the family, a final vision exploded in my mind . . . the memory of my last time out on the high seas.  I had wanted to stretch my skills so I had gone out farther than ever before.  A strong wind had taken the sail and I held onto the capsized hull for three hours until I was rescued.
            My desire to sail again did not permit me to go beyond my responsibility as a husband and father nor to put my family in jeopardy.  Suffice it to say that my conscience was still in place and working very well. We would go to the mountains again this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment