Wednesday, March 4, 2015

ROCKIN' RON



by Danna Shirley

While I was home for a visit from Japan, I stayed a few days with my niece, Rhonda, in Southern California. I noticed she had a rock statue of herself wearing her UPS uniform. She said a friend had made it for her.
Of course I wanted one for my husband. I had no picture to give but I described how I wanted him to be painted . . .
·        He has a receding hairline; gray hair
·        He wears granny glasses
·        He has a mustache
·        He wears khaki pants and a white shirt to work
·        Over the right pocket is his name
·        Over the left pocket is Aegis Test Team
Next I had to get him back to Japan on the plane. My dad packed Rockin’ Ron in such a way that I only had to cut one side of the box open for inspection. He also made a nice heavy handle so I could carry him easily.
With each stop along the way airport security opened the box to see what that solid, heavy figure really was. Inevitably they called others over to look and everyone enjoyed seeing Rockin’ Ron.
       When I arrived back in Japan and Ron opened his gift, we were all amazed at the likeness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment