Thursday, March 5, 2015

THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND

Note: The following story was written by Danna Shirley in the first person although her friend, Pat Ring, was Juanita's eyes on this shopping trip. 
            My friend Juanita, who is legally visually impaired due to macular degeneration, needed transportation to the mall to do some shopping. Her usual sidekick was unable to take her on this particular day so I volunteered.  How hard could it be?  I know my way around the mall and I knew I could find Penney’s and Macy’s without any trouble.  Juanita is also a load of fun and I knew we’d have a great time together.

            We parked, went inside, shopped at Penney’s and then went out into the mall to do some window shopping. Even though Juanita cannot determine precise details, she can still see shadows and make out approximate shapes and colors. I described different outfits for her and she tried a few on in different stores.  Our shopping trip was a success.  We wandered up and down and all around, sat occasionally to visit, and just had a really nice day together.

            When it was time to leave, we proceeded inside the Penney’s store and toward the exit where we had parked.  Nothing looked familiar.  I asked her to wait inside while I looked for the car.  No car!  Where was I?  Had the car been stolen?  I walked back inside trying to retrace my steps from our arrival.
               
            Poor Juanita.  She couldn’t help me and I was in a panic.  How could I admit to her that her seeing eye being was lost?  I finally confessed.

            She asked me, “What department was right inside the door when we entered?”

            “I think it was the tools?” I answered.

            “There are no tools in Penney’s,” she replied.  “We must have come through the Sears entrance.”

            Relief and recollection flooded my memory as I realized that I had parked outside of Sears thinking that I was right outside of Penney’s.  We proceeded to the Sears store and through the tool department to the parking lot.  VoilĂ  . . . there was my car sitting in the handicapped spot where I had left it.

            I will never again believe that a visually impaired person needs help getting around.  Juanita helped this lost soul find her way back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment