Thursday, March 5, 2015

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES

by Danna Shirley (2008)

I believe thankfulness is something that swells within us and overflows out of us in gratitude and appreciation, which leads to our joy. It is so easy to be thankful for our obvious blessings but can we be thankful for the disappointments in life? First Thessalonians 5:18 tells us “in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” When I come to the end of myself, God usually brings me back to the place where I can give thanks . . . for all things!

I’m thankful for the memory of my husband, Ron. We had thirty-four wonderful years together. As I look back on that time, I know we had our ups and downs, mountaintops and valleys, but all I can remember is the love, the joy, and the good memories. Thank You, God, for my lifetime mate.

I’m thankful for my children . . .  Kristen, Russell, and Aaron and grandchildren . . . Mackenzie, Emma, and Bella. That old expression, “When they’re young, they’re on your toes and when they’re grown, they’re on your heart” is so true, but I wouldn’t trade one moment of their lives with me. Thank You, God, for my heartbeat!
         
I’m thankful for my parents. Nana (Elsie) at age 87 and Pa (Howard) at age 86 are still healthy and active and full of life. I have wonderful childhood memories.  As a school teacher, Nana made sure I had a well-rounded education and Pa didn’t mind having three little girls on his heels. He made each of us feel special and so each of us thought we were his favorite. I am what I am today because of them and I am blessed. Thank You, God, for my roots.

I’m thankful for my sisters. Nan (six years older) and Paula (two years older), are a blessing to me. Even though we had our fusses growing up, as all children do, we’ve become great friends as adults. Thank You, God, for my siblings.

I’m thankful for my in-laws. Without Daddy Kline and Gran I wouldn’t have my husband, my children, and my grandchildren. Gran (Mary) at age 83 is our beloved “Prayer Warrior.” Her prayers brought me into the Kingdom of God and her prayers sustain the whole family as she lifts us up by name every morning and every evening. Thank You, God, for upholding all of us through Gran’s prayers.

I’m thankful for friends. I’ve traveled the world over and been blessed with many fantastic people in my life. It is always hard to leave friends behind but God has more waiting for me at my new destination. My address book is filled and I never give up a friend. Thank You, God, for friendships.

I’m thankful for religious freedom so I can gather together with sisters and brothers, friends and family of the faith; to lift up holy hands in the sanctuary and bless His name. Thank You, God, for freedom to worship.

      I’M MOST THANKFUL FOR JESUS CHRIST!
And for God loving me so much that He would send His one and only Son
to die on a cruel tree for my sins.

Thank You, God, for my salvation and eternal life.  

Note: Daddy Kline passed away September 10, 1998, Ron passed away February 20, 2003 and Pa passed away March 1, 2010. They are loved and missed but we’ll see them again in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment