Thursday, March 5, 2015

THE GIFT OF GRACE

by Danna Shirley

            I was sixteen and my dad had allowed me to take our family’s second car to the football game on Friday night, “But don’t go to the Pizza Parlor afterward and DON’T cruise the main,” he warned. “Come straight home!”

            Everyone who was anyone cruised the main after the game to celebrate our victory (or mourn our defeat) and to see who was doing what, in what, and with whom. After a respectable amount of trips traveling up and down 23rd Street in front of our school, everyone went for pizza and dancing.  I even had classes with one of the band members and I wanted him to see me.  It was always the place to be. I called a few girlfriends so I wouldn’t be alone, a sure sign of popularity suicide.

            Well, we made it up and down the main a few times and even got parked in the pizza lot without mishap. We had a great time eating and dancing and flirting but I didn’t want to stay too late because Dad knew when the game was over and when to expect me home. I already had my “story” ready to give him about why I was late, “I had to take my girlfriends home after the game.”

Flickr - DVS1mn - 64 Chevrolet Corvair Monza (1).jpg            When it was time to go, I gathered up everyone and out to the car we went. My little Monza was parked next to a big Cadillac. All of my months of driving insured that I could back out of the parking space with confidence. However, my inexperience didn’t prepare me for the deep scratch and scraped paint that went all the way down the side of my car from bumper to bumper as I tried to maneuver my exit. Of course, I didn’t have the foresight to stop with the first sound of metal . . . I just kept right on going. My friends were like Job’s friends, bad advice!  They said, “Run for it, nobody saw you!” 

            Well, I at least knew that I should get out and look at the damage and leave a note on the Caddy. We all piled out to look at this huge dent on my car but there was no evidence of anything on the Cadillac. Again they said, “Run for it!” After surveying both vehicles and seeing that I was the only one that had to face the music, I took their advice and left the scene.

            I drove slower and slower as I dropped off each girl at her house, trying to delay the inevitable. I knew I would confess my disobedience because lying would dig me a deeper pit and the evidence was sitting out there in the driveway. The worst part of the whole fiasco was facing my dad’s disappointment. He was so good to me. How could I have been so terrible? By the time I pulled into our driveway, I had worked myself into an emotional wreck. I walked in the door in tears and stood at the foot of my parent’s bed sobbing so that I could hardly get my confession out. 

            Dad looked at me and asked if I was alright. “Yes,” I bawled as I waited for him to come down on me with both feet. I was prepared for restriction, losing my driving privilege, and anything else he could think of as my punishment and I knew I would have deserved every bit of it. 

            He very calmly said, “Well go to bed, honey, and we’ll talk about it tomorrow.” I am now 56 years old and we still have never talked about it! 

            The next day I was his shadow as we walked the length of the car. The damage in daylight was more than I could bear. Dad never gave me a dirty look or said a negative word to me. He just said he could fix it. He banged out the dent and sanded it down and painted it. I didn’t want to leave him with all the labor but the only thing I could do to help was witness his body work and learn from my mistake! 

            Years later I asked my dad why he didn’t punish me. He said he could tell that I had punished myself that night on the way home far more than he ever could have done. That day he gave me the gift of GRACE . . . undeserved mercy. I learned that I never wanted to disappoint my dad again and I hope I never have. 

Today, 2005, he is 84 years old. He is still healthy and active; still wise in the eyes of his daughter . . . and still banging out dents—restoring his Model A’s. 

I love you, dad . . . Howard Eurbie Goines!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment