Thursday, March 5, 2015

THE KEEPSAKE

by Danna Shirley

It was something everyone in the family would love to possess but I was fortunate to have asked for it first. My father had carved it during World War II while he was stationed in England. He brought it home in the little silver tin that the Army Air Corp issued to hold a bar of soap. That was sixty years ago. It has been a special treasure in our family ever since.
I remember it being pulled out occasionally throughout my childhood to admire but I didn’t realize the God-given talent bestowed upon my father in fashioning it until I became an adult. I wish I could have inherited this gift as well, but I have “two left thumbs.”
It seems while everyone else was marking time until their return home from the war, my dad was using his time wisely. There was a cache of damaged windshields from B-17 bombers that were discarded when the flyers returned from their missions. These windshields were made of Plexiglas so there was a vast goldmine of materials to craft anything desired. Several of the men needed their watch crystals replaced and my dad would make them for 10 shillings ($2) a piece. Of course he didn’t become rich making watch crystals but he was always money-wise.
Sometimes Dad would trade his ration of cigarettes for real food, which was a treat from whatever graced his mess kit. Other times he would bicycle out to the country and trade his cigarettes for fresh eggs while the others back in camp were eating powdered. It was a blessing that he never smoked so he could use his cigarettes for bartering.
When Dad arrived home to Arkansas, the little carved treasure came with him. Its strings were made of thread from the sewing kit that was standard issue. He glued it all together with acetone. Years later he mounted it in a pretty little gift box and glued all the sides together so that it would not get damaged or be handled unnecessarily.
       Dad carved wooden objects as well, cars with door handles that turned and opened, trunks that raised, and steering wheels that really turned the tires. The little clear violin, however, was so delicate to me, so reminiscent of what the angels might be playing in heaven, that this is my special remembrance of my dad. It now has a place of honor in my china cup cabinet with a spotlight above it to illuminate its priceless worth and precious value among my other possessions.
August 2005

     Now, September 2011, the violin sits on my daughter, Kristen’s, bookshelf in her new home to be loved and protected for the following generation, for her daughters Emma and Bella.
                                                                                          September, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment