Friday, March 6, 2015

THE REALITY OF REALITY SHOWS

Danna Shirley

Reality is defined as realism, authenticity, truthfulness, genuineness, and accuracy. Does that really describe reality shows today?
Television has hit a new low in entertainment. I can’t even comment on their content because I haven’t allowed myself to dumb down that far. The few glimpses I’ve seen while channel surfing, watching previews or snippets during commercials, or reading an article while waiting for an appointment begs the question . . . How Destructive Are They?
            I will admit I do watch programs that showcase talent . . . but the reality is that some of these reality/talk shows do nothing but promote demeaning, belittling, and shocking sensationalism. What is wrong with our culture when these programs can remain in the lineup for many years or have such a following that they are kept on the air season after season? How about the programs that the FCC must bleep or shadow to even become viewable?
            I went online recently and searched for “how many reality shows are on TV?” Do you have any idea? It took me a while to count the list but there are 724! Most I have never heard of but the ones I have seen in the TV guide numbered 152. The ones I have actually watched on occasion number 14. I watch only three on a somewhat regular basis: American Pickers, Dancing with the Stars, and anything HGTV; i.e. Income Property, Property Brothers, Rehab Addict, etc.

Here are some subjects that have aired on the following “talk” shows. I use the word loosely because there is not much talk, just vehemence and profanity:
Jerry Springer (airing since 1991; THAT’S 23 YEARS!):
·       Mom, We're Sleeping With Your Man
·    Threesomes and Throwdowns
·        Barely Legal Hook-ups
·        I Slept With 120 Men…and Yours
·        Chronic Cheaters

Maury Povich (airing since 1991; THAT’S 23 YEARS!):
·        I Have to Know...Is My Fiance My Stepbrother
·       My Wife Needs to Know...I'm sleeping with Her Niece
·        Sex, Cheaters, & Peeping Toms Caught On Tape
·        Cheating Secrets & Outrageous Updates

Here are some descriptions of the following “reality” shows:
Honey Boo Boo (airing since 2012):
The first episode was described as a "horror story posing as a reality television program” with others worrying about potential child exploitation. Critical reaction to the series has been mixed, with some characterizing the show as "offensive,” "outrageous," and "exploitative." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Comes_Honey_Boo_Boo

Dance Moms (airing since 2011): 
Charges against the dance teacher, Abby Lee Miller, claim she is very cruel to her dancers and has pinched them to the point of bleeding in pursuit of their cooperation. She works them to the bone and has been known to attack them on the set. Many young dancers now suffer from anxiety and panic attacks because Abby insults and degrades the girls for the purpose of drama and TV ratings. http://www.inquisitr.com/1530715/dance-moms-lawsuit-paige-hyland-files-suit-against-abby-lee-miller/

Don’t these programs sound delicious for a steady diet of entertainment? I’m not only concerned for our children and our upcoming generations but also for the adults that have kept this kind of viewing on the air. I believe my first description is the best . . . we’ve dumbed down so far all we see when we look up is the bottom!

Where is the Family-Friendly Programming? Believe it or not, there is a station called “UP” that only shows uplifting, feel-good stories without profanity, violence, adultery, and every other vice and immorality shown on other channels. The Hallmark and Disney channels are also safe and secure for our children as well as for adults.

The reality of reality shows is that they are driven by ratings and ratings drive the programming. It is a vicious cycle of a downward surge. How far will we go before we suffocate in the muck and mire of the Springers and Povichs? 

God H-E-L-P us . . . PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment