Thursday, March 5, 2015

THE ART OF FLYING


Danna Shirley  

FLYING IN THE UNITED STATES
I have traveled a lot in the last year, flying from Tennessee to California several times, and in all those flights I have learned something new in quite a number of areas. The following conditions were experienced by me personally or by someone I’ve known.
·        Every flight was full to capacity so everything had to be stowed overhead or under the seat; no overflowing into the companion seats and no moving to a more comfortable location because the airline I had chosen was “first come, first served.”
·        On one flight I moved all the way to the last row to be near the rest room and I chose the aisle seat so I wouldn’t have to disturb anyone getting up. Did you know the last row doesn’t recline because the seatback is right next to the wall?
·        In one seat the air didn’t work and my hot flashes took massive control.
·        In another the tray table didn’t pull down completely flat so I couldn’t rest a book on it to read and I certainly couldn’t place my drink on it safely.
·        A little turbulence landed the spray from a soda can in my lap and on the flight attendant as well.
·        A baby cried throughout one flight, poor little thing, probably due to earaches. My ears were also wreaking havoc with me but I couldn’t cry. 
·        My sister is always concerned with head lice from passengers who have previously sat in the seat, so I was afraid to put my head back. Ugh!
·        And of course there is the inevitable layover that turns into delay, after delay, after delay. 
·        And the final insult . . . luggage that doesn’t arrive until the next day—if ever!

FLYING IN JAPAN
Years earlier my daughter, Kristen, was traveling to Japan to spend the summer with the family. Her flight was delayed coming into the country and so she missed her connection to meet us. When this reality set in, fear gripped her at one end of the route and us at the other. This is what happened:
·        Kristen missed her connecting flight into Nagasaki and knew before even landing in Fukuoka that she would have to spend the night there. She didn’t speak Japanese and didn’t have a clue what to do or how to communicate that she needed help.
·        Her father and I were on the other end waiting for her. When she didn’t get off the plane, we also didn’t know what to do or where to go to find out what happened.
·        As Kris deplaned, an English-speaking airline employee was holding a sign with her name on it. They had already made arrangements for a room near the airport, a shuttle to the hotel, food vouchers, and a flight to Nagasaki the next morning.
·        At our end, an English-speaking airline employee found us and explained what had happened to Kristen. Arrangements had already been made to speak with her by phone (no cell phones in 1993).
·        We returned to the airport the next morning to find Kristen and her luggage had arrived safely. We shared we each other our most surprised and pleasant experience of customer service, Japanese style. 
WE WERE THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED
AND EXTREMELY THANKFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment