Thursday, April 21, 2016

A WIDOW'S ADVICE TO YOUNG WIVES Chapter 4

© Danna Shirley

Separation . . .

Love will see us through . . . and sometimes that’s all we could hold onto. Everything else was a struggle.

That five-month separation I mentioned earlier occurred after four years of marriage when our daughter, Kristen, was almost three. I won’t go into any details because they have long since been forgiven, but I went home to Mom and Dad on the West Coast and Ron went to the Navy’s Officer Candidate School (OCS) on the East Coast. We were as far apart as two people could get . . . emotionally and geographically. I'd had all I could take living with that man, and I’m sure he felt the same about me.  We both had our faults, failings, and defects. It’s never one-sided!

In a day when there was no unlimited long distance calling, surprisingly, we were on the phone to each other every few nights. First Ron called with the pretext that he wanted to talk to Kristen and briefly spoke to me. Eventually, he called to talk with me and briefly spoke to Kristen. We were both miserable. Stubborn as ever, he wouldn't admit it, but I readily expressed my feelings.

At the end of his three month school, when he was ready to return to Ole Miss for his senior year, I was also ready to return to him. Unfortunately, I had to work two more months to earn the plane fare home. Those days were lean on an enlisted man’s pay.

He never made any promises to amend his ways. I knew I had to accept him just as he was; all the things that I wanted to change about him would never be changed. But I loved him, so I was willing to adjust. This didn’t exactly go along with the ‘women’s lib’ movement of the day but I didn’t care. I loved him! One of the things that helped to make my decision was a friend’s weighty comment . . .

“If you don’t go back, some other woman will take your place, she’ll sleep in your bed, and you’ll be a single mom trying to raise your daughter alone without her father. As Ron moves up in his career, she’ll have all the benefits of his success and you’ll be standing on the outside looking in. Besides, you love him! Isn’t that enough?”

Yes, love is wonderful but is it enough?  No! You must also have respect, compassion, admiration, appreciation, understanding, approval, value, gratitude, pleasure, and laughter in a marriage.  You fill in the blanks with your particular needs but consider this, are you the wife and lover that he needs?

As I look back and examine my behavior during those first years of marriage, I see that I was an irritating nag (the clothes hamper was just a small incident). I wanted him to do what I asked him to do when I asked him to do it!!! I wasn’t diplomatic or considerate, just demanding. I wanted him to be perfect while asking him to accept my imperfections.

Ron was an avid fisherman and when he had time to relax, he wanted to be out on the boat, not crossing things off of my ‘honey do’ list. He filled our freezer with fish every weekend while I swept smelly fish scales off the kitchen floor. I was not from a fishing family and found it difficult to understand the draw of the water.

The last few years of his life drained him physically. He suffered with fibromyalgia and was in constant joint pain. Every evening he had to struggle to get around the house, much less the shipyard or up and down the passageways of the ship.

I remember saying, “Honey, why don’t you take the boat out and do some fishing. I know you’d love it and maybe you’ll feel better.” No, he couldn’t even get out of his chair.
                                                       
If I just had him back now, I would send him out fishing every day—I would even join him!
  


 LIFE TO CONSIDER . . .
It is my desire to have a happy marriage and live with a contented husband.  My marriage is for life; therefore I will consider . . .

When my husband wants ‘down time,’ do I allow him that freedom?  Do I encourage him to enjoy his rest and relaxation?  Explain.

Do I harass my husband with my wants and desires while ignoring his?  Explain.

Am I doing all I can to avoid conflict, which could possibly lead to a separation?  If not, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment