Thursday, April 21, 2016

A WIDOW'S ADVICE TO YOUNG WIVES Chapter 12

© Danna Shirley

Unhealthy thinking . . .

After Ron died, I chose to remain in the house that we had built together. There was no question that I would continue working.  I was numb and couldn’t make a decision to do otherwise.

It was fourteen miles from my front door to Central Fire Station. Part of those fourteen miles included a stretch of sparsely inhabited two lane road that commuters traveled, exceeding the speed limit I might add, as they tried to make time when they were late for work in the morning or when they were anxious to arrive home at night. As a rule, traffic was light and there were seldom any delays until reaching my community.

On one particular trip home from work, I was taken off guard when I noticed a school bus stopped on the highway with four cars behind it. I had to brake quickly to stop. We sat there for quite a while waiting for the traffic to move.

When I looked up in my rear view mirror, I saw a big, black, pickup truck barreling down on me. I gripped the steering wheel and waited for him to notice that the traffic was stopped ahead of him.  He didn’t notice; he was still coming full speed!

All I could utter was, “Oh, God, oh God, oh God,” as I stared in my rear view mirror and braced myself for impact. It was one of those moments when you can’t watch but you can’t look away either. I just knew I was going to die right there on Highway 57 in south Mississippi!

When he finally saw that traffic was at a standstill, he slammed on his brakes and pulled off the road into the ditch. He skidded to a stop three cars in front of me.

Soon the bus began to move and we all pulled forward as if we hadn’t just escaped death. I drove past his truck and looked over at him thinking, I should stop and check on him; say something but there was nothing to be said. He was staring out his front window and I’m sure contemplating his own narrow escape from death.

Later that night the event became more surreal as I relived looking in my rearview mirror. What if I had died?  I thought of being in heaven with Ron. That would have been perfectly acceptable to me. I was lonely and more than ready and willing to go. 

Then I thought of my loved ones that I would leave behind; my three children and my two granddaughters at that time. I decided I did want to live. I wanted to live to see many more grandchildren. Thank You, Lord, for saving me that day so that I could be ‘Mimi’ to my three grandgirls . . . Mackenzie, Emma, and Isabella.


LIFE TO CONSIDER . . .

After reading this chapter, I will reflect on the author’s thoughts as a widow and determine to . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment