Thursday, April 21, 2016

A WIDOW'S ADVICE TO YOUNG WIVES Chapter 8

© Danna Shirley

Taking him for granted . . .

Some widows choose not to remain in the house they shared with their husband. It is too difficult and distressing to be there alone.

One widow told me she stays with her daughter every Thursday night because her husband died on a Thursday.

Another moved into her guest bedroom because she couldn’t sleep alone in the bed they had shared.

After relating their feelings, I wondered if my reaction wasn’t normal. I moved over to Ron’s side of the bed. I even slept on his pillow. I wanted to get as close to his memory as I could. God brought comfort to me there.

I miss being kissed and hugged and patted and loved. I’m sure we’ve all used the, “Not tonight, Dear,” routine, but now I would give anything to have him beside me once again.

Ron was unselfish in his gifts. He allowed me to go and do and buy. The five years we lived in Japan he worked long hours and I ‘played’ with my friends . . . shopping, lunch, more shopping. Looking back now, I know I didn’t show him the gratitude he deserved, I didn’t consider the freedom he gave me, I didn’t express my thanks sufficiently. No, I just assumed it was my right and his obligation.

All of these feelings add up to one thing . . . ‘taking him for granted’ sets in and the wish that I could say and do all that I should have when he was still with me. But you have that opportunity now; don’t overlook it, don’t ignore it, don’t dismiss it!


LIFE TO CONSIDER . . .
It is my desire to have a happy marriage and live with a contented husband.  My marriage is for life; therefore I will consider . . . 

During those times that I have taken my husband for granted, I will think of ways I can view him differently and make every effort to value him.

How can I express my gratitude even for the little things? 

How can I deliberately show my appreciation?  

No comments:

Post a Comment