Thursday, April 21, 2016

A WIDOW'S ADVICE TO YOUNG WIVES Chapter 13

© Danna Shirley

I first heard the song ‘God and Time’ on my car radio shortly after Ron died. I couldn’t believe how remarkably it captured my heartcry . . . I bought the CD and played this song over and over again even though it made me cry every time I heard it. Somehow it was still comforting. Tears are also good for us and help us get through the grieving process and to the other side. God is still our Comfort.

GOD and TIME
by Newsong

[Dedicated to the memory of Bessie May Hunt, Shell E. Hartley, Sr.
and for anyone who has lost someone they loved.]

I know you wished that you had been there to say goodbye.
I know you wished that you could turn back
the hands of time.
I know the pain of loss you’re feelin’
is almost more than you can bear
but let me give you hope in your despair.

CHORUS:
All you need is God and time – to heal your broken heart;
God and time – to lift you up from where you are.
I don’t have all the answers to all your questions why.
All I know is all you really need . . .
is God and time.

Only God can truly understand how His healing works
and how He uses time in our lives to overcome our hurts
but one thing you can be sure of He is not surprised
by anything that happens in your life.

CHORUS . . .

I know this side of heaven we may never understand
but we can trust the heart of God
and know we’re always in His hands.

CHORUS . . .
© 2000 Sony/ATV Lowery Songs/BMI/Designer Music, Inc. (a div. of Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.)/SESAC/WB Music Corp./Jerry’s Haven Music/ASCAP. All rights reserved.  Used by permission.

The following poem came to my attention a few years later.

TOMORROW NEVER COMES
by Norma Cornett Marek

If I knew it would be the last time
that I'd see you fall asleep,
I would tuck you in more tightly
and pray the Lord, your soul to keep.

If I knew it would be the last time
that I see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and kiss
and call you back for one more.

If I knew it would be the last time
I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise,
I would video tape each action and word,
so I could play them back day after day.

If I knew it would be the last time,
I could spare an extra minute
to stop and say "I love you,"
instead of assuming you would KNOW I do.

If I knew it would be the last time
I would be there to share your day.
Well, I'm sure you'll have so many more,
so I can let just this one slip away.

For surely there's always tomorrow
to make up for an oversight,
and we always get a second chance
to make everything just right.
There will always be another day
to say "I love you,"
And certainly there's another chance
to say our "Anything I can do?"

But just in case I might be wrong
and today is all I get,
I'd like to say how much I love you
and I hope we never forget.

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone,
young or old alike,
and today may be the last chance
you get to hold your loved one tight.

So if you're waiting for tomorrow,
why not do it today?
For if tomorrow never comes,
you'll surely regret the day,

That you didn't take that extra time
for a smile, a hug, or a kiss
and you were too busy to grant someone,
what turned out to be their one last wish.

So hold your loved ones close today
and whisper in their ear.
Tell them how much you love them
and that you'll always hold them dear.

Take time to say "I'm sorry,"
"Please forgive me,"
"Thank you,"
or "It's OK.”  
and if tomorrow never comes,
you'll have no regrets about today.


Something might happen at home or at work and I would think, I need to call Ron and tell him. I would even have the phone in my hand before I remembered that he wasn’t there anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment