Thursday, April 21, 2016

A WIDOW'S ADVICE TO YOUNG WIVES Chapter 6

© Danna Shirley

Gossip with the girls . . .

Is it part of our female makeup to routinely insert complaints about our husbands into the conversation? When the girls get together, there is that inevitable remark here and criticism there about what he did or didn’t, say or do recently; each contributing a similar account of their own and each trying to top the previous husband’s offense. “You’ll never guess what my husband did last night . . .” we would begin as we fed off of each other.

With the Bible study fresh in my mind and the Holy Spirit quick to convict, I began to quietly critique our chit chat. What a shock! We all had something critical and uncomplimentary to say. I began to examine my past conversations and all the grievances I had expressed about my husband. I was ashamed and embarrassed as I realized that he deserved better. I should have been praising him and holding him up admiringly, which is exactly how I feel about him now that he’s gone.

I should have kept quiet and nonchalantly dismissed myself when those confabs arose or at the very least prayed silently for those marriages. Words shape opinions and when finally meeting the man in question, my outlook was ‘poor husband’ instead of ‘poor wife.’

Today, when I hear wives begin their routine grievances, I am quick to insert . . . “I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time with your husband but at least you have him. I would give anything to have Ron back and never complain again!”

. . . silence!

(Note: I realize some wives have far more serious issues than the usual petty arguments mentioned here. Please use wisdom in this area.)

 LIFE TO CONSIDER . . .
It is my desire to have a happy marriage and live with a contented husband.  My marriage is for life; therefore I will consider . . .

What does the Bible say about the tongue? 

Psalm 34:13-15 and 50:19-21 

Proverbs 18:21 and 21:23  

Matthew 12:36-37 

Romans 2:1 

Ephesians 4:29-32  

2 Timothy 2:16-17  

James 3:8-10  

1 Peter 2:1 and 3:8-12 

No comments:

Post a Comment