Thursday, April 21, 2016

A WIDOW'S ADVICE TO YOUNG WIVES Chapter 10

© Danna Shirley

Regrets . . .

I’ve had a few over the years but it’s not my intention to review them here. I do, however, want to share my regrets during Ron’s last few months of life.

Two people can get very comfortable with each other after thirty-four years of marriage. We had an empty nest and had grown content, enjoying our warm and cozy, quiet and peaceful life together. We had worked hard, he more than I, and every so often he would calculate our finances to the exact date we could retire and still live well on our savings. 

We moved effortlessly through our daily routine. At night we came together to share a meal, listen to the news, and watch television. I would crochet or get on the computer or talk on the phone.

Ron had a cough that hung on for a few months after he recovered from the flu. I didn’t notice it too much because he always cleared his throat. It wasn’t until he complained of chest pain that I paid closer attention.

“If you’re hurting that much,” I said, “then go to the doctor,” but being the stubborn man that he was, I knew he wouldn’t, so there was no sense pressing it. My first regret!

Ron had a tremendous work ethic and because he was employed in the defense industry, he had a strong commitment to his job, to the ship, to the sailors, and to his country. Every day was harder and harder on him physically. By the time he sought medical help, the cough had escalated. When he was diagnosed with pneumonia, the doctor wanted to put him in the hospital but he refused.  Why? America was on the verge of the Iraqi War and the work he did was vital to our nation’s defense. Ron died February 20, 2003. Twenty-eight days later the war began on March 20th. I consider him an additional casualty of the 9-11 war against our country.

Ron had his five prescriptions filled on Tuesday and called his boss that he would be out on Wednesday but would return to work on Thursday. Wednesday morning I woke to find him barely able to sit up on the side of the bed. I begged him to go to the Emergency Room but he insisted he wanted to give the medication time to work. I left him at home alone on what would become the last day of his life. Regret!

I should have called in sick. I should have stayed home to take care of him. I should have insisted that he go to the ER. I should have, should have, should have . . . Regret! Regret! Regret!

I called often throughout that day; he was in a lot of pain. When I arrived home after work, I found him sleeping. He got up once and we talked for a short time.  He went back to bed and I slept in the guest bedroom so I wouldn’t disturb what small amount of sleep he was able to get. I didn’t even kiss him goodnight. Regret!

I slept peacefully in the other room, never waking, which was unusual for me. Thursday morning I went into our dark bedroom to get ready for work. I passed by our bed several times thinking that I mustn’t disturb him. I didn’t notice the stillness in the room.

I was ready to walk out the door when God spoke to me so clearly, “You need to try and wake up Ron.” When I heard in my spirit the word “try,” I knew immediately something was wrong.

I couldn’t see him in the dark but when I touched him, he was cold. I knew he was gone but I expected my continual shaking to awaken him. He died in his sleep, alone, in our bed, without me. Regret!

I do praise God for the comfort and peace that only He could bring during those first difficult days and weeks. God is sovereign and I have received great comfort from the Lord knowing that . . .
*   Ron is no longer in constant pain from fibromyalgia.
*   God knows the end from the beginning and I trust and believe that His wisdom has prevailed.
*   God could have aroused me that night; awakened my spirit to go to Ron, but He let me sleep so peacefully. It was almost as if He and Ron were having a special time together; like they were         taking care of business.
*   God is in control and if He had wanted a different outcome, we would have had a different outcome.
*   Ron is in heaven and I’ll be with him again some day. 

When I have the opportunity, I tell other stubborn men that if my husband knew he was leaving me a widow at age fifty-four, he would have sought medical help sooner!  Regret!

Our three granddaughters will never know their ‘Pop.’  Regret!

One of Ron’s co-workers, Bill Robinson, could not get a flight out of Michigan to come to the memorial service but he sent me the following e-mail a few days later. I treasure these words of admiration about my husband  . . .

      To put things into perspective, Ron and I had worked very near each other at the Aegis Test Team in Pascagoula for a couple of years. We were both the head-down, trying to solve problems type, so we really never had much interaction until we got swept up into the Japanese AEGIS program.
      Ron’s demeanor and attitude are what made him immediately stand out. He was pure solution without trying to promote himself or “get off easy” by spending energy politicking and benefiting from other people’s work. Sir Isaac Newton, in speaking of his own great accomplishments had said, “If I can see so far, it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants” . . . He was speaking of intelligence giants like Ron.
      Ron just oozed with integrity. His word and motives were far beyond question.  If a man is only as good as his word, I know of no one who comes close to Ron. People would just instinctively know that Ron was a person of such caliber. On many occasions I grinned in amazement to watch people of high importance  just  hang on every  word  Ron spoke, as  he gave his opinion or analysis on some multi-million  dollar, hundreds-of-people  problem.  Never   would it be necessary to mull over Ron’s words, wondering if he was embellishing in search of the limelight. Ron was the symbol of unselfish excellence within the AEGIS world.  His motives were beyond reproach. I know of no other in such a highly competitive arena that had the same credibility.
      We spent lots of time together in the dark corners of warships. Staying out of the way, yet just waiting to be overrun with panicked managers, engineers, officers, and sailors who wanted an explanation for some major event that was unfolding in the highly complex AEGIS world . . . Mach 3 missiles flying (or not flying), guns tracking, aircraft screaming, radios and radars buzzing.  We would work 24 hours straight (Saturday, Sunday), no matter what it took to provide the answer; everyone depended on our work and we would never fail. When the panic subsided, we would go back to a dark corner, talk about our families, and our great plans for fishing. This last observation I would say is the mark of a true yet simple family man. He loved meeting the challenge of a highly technical occupation, yet family and the simple things in life are where his thoughts and heart were centered.
      While away from home, non-working hours were just as simple. Never a flashy rental car or luxury hotel; Ron would seek the simple places. Time was spent reading books about fishing or the stock market (no one was standing in line for our opinions here). When we had to get out, we would spend the day at one of those multi-movie theaters just going from movie to movie, mostly just marking time until we got home.
      On many of these adventures we suffered together; dragging luggage through airports and on/off helicopters, horrible food, horrible conditions, no sleep, no showers, cramped, cold, sick, and tired. On several occasions we put our high-powered analytical skills together to ponder our decisions to be there. We always concluded everyone was wrong about us . . . we were not intelligent men! Somehow we always got each other through it, usually with a smile and a great sense of satisfaction. I looked up to Ron like a big brother. As men go, he was a truly great one. I will deeply miss him.

The children and I sprinkled Ron’s ashes in the Mississippi Gulf Coast waters where he loved to fish. I was blessed to be loved by this man. He was genuinely the love of my life!
  
LIFE TO CONSIDER . . .
It is my desire to have a happy marriage and live with a contented husband.  My marriage is for life; therefore I will consider . . .

What can I do to keep my husband young and feeling vibrant?

What can I do to keep my husband active?

What can I do to keep my husband healthy?

(continued to chapters 11 thru 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment