Friday, November 28, 2014

BIRTH #1 - Kristen Valera

by Danna Shirley

Ron was on assignment in Bermuda for a two-year shore duty when he received word that he was to return to Bainbridge, MD to attend prep school in preparation for NESEP (Naval Enlisted Scientific Education Program). As an enlisted man, completing this program would give him an engineering degree, courtesy of the U. S. Navy, and a commission as an officer. He was to pay back two years active duty for each year he was in college. This would put him within four years of a 20-year Navy retirement.

While stationed in Bainbridge, we found an apartment in Perryville, MD. It was a small place over a 5¢ & 10¢ store. Evidently there must have been a fire in our apartment because there was a hole in the kitchen floor made by an ax that looked down onto an underwear display table below. The apartments were in poor shape and the back staircase leading down to the garbage cans had only half a board on the third from the top step. You had to turn your foot sideways to use it. One of my trips down was only three steps long. When I hit that third board, I scooted all the way to the bottom on the soles of my shoes . . . scary! Because I had just found out I was pregnant, I let the owner know real quick that I could have had a miscarriage. However, he never fixed that step anyway.

To complete this picture I must tell you about Perryville. I even bought postcards to prove it. One was labeled Main Street and the other the Business District . . . but they are the same street; the pictures were taken on opposite corners. 

Since we were only in Perryville for a three-month class, the owner of the 5¢ & 10¢ was conveniently out of town whenever the class graduated; therefore, no one got their deposit back because they couldn’t wait around for him to return. Enlisted families are desperate for every dime so I hounded the man ahead of time. Because of that back stair incident, he didn’t dare pull that disappearing act on me.

Kristen was conceived in Bermuda, I learned I was pregnant in Perryville, and then we were off to Oxford, MS. We rented a small two bedroom trailer (12’ x 47’) and were blissfully happy awaiting the birth of our first baby. Our neighbors in the trailer park were Ronnie and Deanna Denney, owners of the local Shipley’s Donut Shop. Navy friends were Bill and Sharon Christiansen, Glenn and Lurlene Myers, Jim and Lana Freeman, and Ed and Gloria Cox. It was surprising to me that all the husbands were fishermen but because they were all southerners I guess I should not have been surprised at all. I had never known a fisherman until I married Ron. 

The first semester at Ole Miss began in August 1970 and my due date was February 4, 1971. Ron settled into a routine of classes, studying, and writing papers but quickly left the bookwork for the fishing bank, which was just too inviting. He skated through his courses with a minimum amount of effort.

My pregnancy progressed without incident. On February 6, 1971, Ron, Ronnie, Ed, Bill, Jim, and Glenn decided they would go fishing. The weather was cold and none of us could understand why they wanted to go in such dreary weather. The wives rose up in protest considering my due date and stayed with me just in case I needed a ride to the hospital. The guys said they would only be gone a few hours. “What could happen in a few hours?”  

After it began to snow, we expected their swift return. Seven hours later we were calling the Highway Patrol and the hospitals inquiring of any accidents. All the wives were fighting mad and spitting bullets! I just sat there afraid to move, afraid I might go into labor.

Finally, the men trooped through the door gushing apologies. Evidently they decided that it was too cold to fish, so they went to the donut shop and cooked steaks and drank beer all afternoon. They did not even know when it had begun to snow. Each wife grabbed up her husband and out the door they went. Ron and I were left staring at each other too shocked to discuss his inconsideration; he knew he had “done wrong!” I was just glad nothing had happened to him. I had never lived in snow before and I didn’t relish the idea of driving in it to the hospital.

Oxford was a small college town with three trailer parks. Two on the west side of town where most of the other Navy families lived and our trailer was up on a hill as you came into town on the east side. We were still awaiting our baby when a tornado came through town. I had never experienced a tornado; the noise and motion of the trailer were frightening but I felt safer with Ron around to watch over me.

Our poor parents in California and Alabama were hearing the news that a tornado had gone through two trailer parks in Oxford, Mississippi. Trees had fallen on trailers and had gone through walls like splinters. The lines were down for several days. No one could find out if we had been affected and I was over two weeks late to have this baby. I had heard that a change in barometric pressure could start labor but here I was still waiting.

Then on Saturday morning at 6:00 a.m., I began to have some discomfort. We counted the minutes and headed for the hospital. I was put in a waiting room with another mother in labor. After eleven hours, the doctor told Ron to go home and get some dinner; nothing would happen before his return. Surprise! As the elevator doors opened, he was greeted by the other expectant father… “Hey, you’ve got a girl!”
KRISTEN VALERA SHIRLEY
Born:  February 27, 1971 at 6:20 p.m.
Weight:  8 lbs. 7 ½ ounces
entered our lives and she was beautiful. I remember the doctor holding her above my head and my first glimpse of her made me think of a glazed blueberry do-nut. 

Even though the pregnancy and delivery were uneventful, I was having some complications at home. My in-laws were already on their way to see their first grandchild when they arrived to the news that I was back in the hospital. Gran said she would look after Kristen through the night but Ron insisted that he would take care of her himself. She had to laugh after that first feeding. Kristen cried and cried, Ron never stirred, and Gran finally got up and took over the night shift.

Today, Kristen is 43, with two daughters of her own. She is still beautiful . . . inside and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment