Friday, November 28, 2014

BIRTH #3 - Aaron Matthew

by Danna Shirley

            Ron and I were living in Demopolis, Alabama.  He was working for Alabama Power and I was working for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) liquidating the Watkins Banking Company that had gone into receivership.  My job was soon to end and Ron was very unhappy with his; not with the power company per se but with the challenge that it failed to provide.
            After much figuring, which Ron loved to do each evening, he decided that if I continued to work and with our savings, he could go back to school for his Masters degree.  That meant a move back to Montgomery, Alabama to attend Auburn University.  It was Christmas 1979.  Kristen was almost nine and Russ was almost three. 
Ron gave notice and I gave notice and our plans were set.  The house behind his parents was empty and it would be nice to have the children close to their grandparents.  Ron’s grandfather, Daddy Jack, was also living with them at the time so we had a wonderful extended family.  We were well aware of how to get settled in a new place…we had done it many times before. 
Ron registered for the spring term, Kristen got started in school, and I applied for a secretarial position at First Alabama Bank downtown.  My job interview was with Mr. Darcy in the Trust Department.  I would be his secretary.  The interview went smoothly.  He informed me that his two previous secretaries had taken maternity leave and both had decided to stay home with their new babies.  I assured him that there was no chance of that happening with me.  I was thirty-one years old, had a son and daughter, and didn’t plan to have any more children.  As this statement was crossing my lips, I was sitting in front of him already pregnant with my third child and didn’t know it yet.
Soon the morning sickness began and it seemed my clothes became ever so much tighter in just a matter of days.  A trip to the doctor confirmed it . . . so to celebrate quitting our jobs and uprooting our family, I had gotten pregnant with our third and very unexpected child.  After we recovered from the shock and moved into a delight mode, we went up to Gran and Daddy Kline’s and sat at the kitchen table grinning as we glanced back and forth at each other.  Gran, as usual, picked up on our silent communication.  Nothing got past her!  She finally asked, “What’s going on?”
“Well,” Ron answered, “Danna has gone and gotten herself pregnant!” . . . like he had nothing to do with it.
            I informed Mr. Darcy that I would continue to work until my seventh month but would officially resign thereafter.  I did not intend to be a working mother with three children at home.
Later that day his wife called and when I told her my news, she commented, “When he comes home tonight shell-shocked, I’ll understand why.”
            The rest of my time in this position was half-hearted for everyone knew I would be leaving in a few months so they were reluctant to train me.  I became the go-fer and did menial typing while everyone else learned the new computer system, which was just being implemented in 1980.  They were all gracious and kind but I felt like a fifth wheel.  A few weeks before my last day at work, my co-workers gave me a wonderful baby shower. 
On the morning of September 15, 1980 my water broke and Ron and I trooped up to his parent’s house to tell them we were on our way to the hospital.  He grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down at the kitchen table leisurely sipping like it was any other morning that he had coffee with his folks.  After about twenty minutes I insisted that we better GO!!!...NOW!!!  Aaron Matthew Shirley was born at Maxwell Air Force Base four hours later; weight eight pounds, six ounces.  My bill at time of discharge was to cover meals—$12.50.
When he was a month old, I took him by the Trust Department to show him off and there sat Mr. Darcy’s new secretary behind my desk . . . she was in her fifties.  Thrice bitten, four times shy!
…three months later we were on the move again—to New Jersey—but that’s another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment