Saturday, November 29, 2014

DIVINE APPOINTMENT-The Beldens



JERRY
            Do you ever contemplate why things happen the way they do—or why things happen at just the right time or in just the right place? I call them divine appointments orchestrated by God. I’ve had several during my walk with the Lord.
            A recent one occurred while I was staying with my sister Paula to help with her husband, Jerry, who has Parkinson’s. When I first arrived (March 2013), Jerry was able to walk, talk, feed himself, and go to the bathroom. Eventually, we had to take over these duties for him.
This day was one of those perfect opportunities when we were alone in the house. I had his full attention as I fed him lunch. My granddaughter, Bella (7), had just gotten saved and was going to be baptized. It opened the door for me to ask him if
                                                “No,” he replied.
I asked if he ever went to church as a child.
            “Some.”
            I explained that getting saved is to repent of your sins, accept Jesus into your heart, and become a child of God. “Would you like to do that, Jerry?”
            “I guess I better,” he replied.
            I led him in the prayer of salvation and he repeated every word after me. At this point in his disease there was only a small window for him to respond to God’s wooing and I was able to be there to point him toward his Savior.
            It was only a few months later that Jerry could no longer function physically. He is now bedridden and has caregivers twelve hours a day. It’s a sad thing to see such a vital and intelligent man who owned his own engineering firm be reduced to a life such as this. There is no answer to the question ‘why’ so it’s useless to ask. It is enough, however, to know that Jerry now belongs to Jesus. He is a child of the Most High God and will spend eternity with Him in heaven!

AARON
Jerry’s son lives about an hour and a half from his dad. Aaron was visiting him one Saturday and while his dad was being cared for upstairs, he sat at the kitchen table across from me—another divine appointment. He mentioned how depressing it was to see his dad in this condition. Aaron was also without a job and going through his own personal issues. He was terribly unhappy.
            “So, what are you doing about it?” I asked.
            “I don’t know what to do,” he replied defeated.
            “I do!” I said and proceeded to tell him about the Lord. He asked all the usual questions for someone who has no understanding of a life of faith . . .
1.      Why does my dad have to suffer like this?
2.      Isn’t Christianity just a crutch?
3.      What about all the translations of the Bible? What can you believe?
Paula came in during this time and added to the conversation some of her own testimony. I thank God for giving us answers that would satisfy his doubts and his criticism of Christianity.
Then I asked if he wanted to accept Jesus as his Savior.
“Yes.”
I moved my chair around to his side of the table and took both his hands in mine. I led him in the prayer of salvation and he repeated after me. My eyes were closed but I heard him quietly sobbing, a very good sign that the Holy Spirit had deeply touched him.
When we retired to the patio to talk more privately, he shared some very personal things.  He admitted that he tended to be a very negative person and saw everything as the glass always three-fourths empty! We prayed over each issue he mentioned. I felt he had a long way to go to cultivate his faith and trust.
The next day (Sunday), Aaron called very distraught. I was on my way to church and could do nothing. I told him to find a church and find someone who looked like they belonged there, a deacon or minister. Tell him what’s going on and have him pray with you. Don’t leave until you know that you’ve turned it over to the Lord and trust in Him! Then I hurried on to my own church and found two of my deacons. We went into the conference room and they prayed with me as well.
It was a very crucial moment in Aaron’s newfound faith. The praise report is that the crisis was abated. He also got a good job before the end of the week and is now in church every Sunday. His negativity is dissipating and the joy of the Lord is his strength (Nehemiah 8:10).
Never underestimate where you are or why you’re there because God orchestrates divine appointments. Don’t ignore them! He put Jerry (age 79) and me together at that kitchen table while he still had the mentality to accept the Lord. He put Aaron (age 51) and me at that same kitchen table to bring him out of his ‘negative’ lifestyle and lead him into joy unspeakable and full of glory (1 Peter 1:8).
I've heard it said that it is harder to become a Christian the older one becomes. I guess it’s because life has been lived longer and harder than as an innocent child . . . but still nothing is impossible with God. 
"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perishbut everyone to come to repentance."  (2 Peter 3:9)
I don’t ask for divine appointments but I have come to recognize them. Sometimes I’m hard of hearing and God has to shout to get my attention. Then I turn around and go back. It is a blessing just to know I’m being used by God in someone’s life. I usually don’t know the outcome but with Jerry and Aaron . . .
           
GOD IS GOOD ~ ALL THE TIME
Hallelujah! J


No comments:

Post a Comment