Friday, November 28, 2014

IT'S A SMALL WORLD (Charleston, Japan, Baghdad)

by Danna Shirley

            My family lived in Japan for over five years. It was a wonderful experience and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. My husband and sons learned some Japanese but I was grateful that the locals knew a little English so I could get by with a small knowledge of the language. My husband’s business linguistic was English so the Japanese engineers who worked with him also had to speak our language.
            Although we weren’t active duty military, we were still there on a Navy contract so we had access to base privileges in Sasebo for everything but housing. This included E. J. King High School for my sons, the Commissary for groceries, the Exchange for clothes, shoes, etc., the Hospital for medical, the Officer’s Club for dining, the Chapel for Sunday services, and other activities such as the gym, automotive, movie theater, etc.
My oldest son even had his high school graduation ceremonies on the hangar deck of the U.S.S. Belleau Wood*, an aircraft carrier that was stationed in Sasebo at the time.
Sightseeing was a given. Our first trip upon arrival (June 1992) was to see Mt. Unzen, an active volcano. We went all the way to the top where we saw smoke billowing into the air. Major eruptions had occurred in 1990 and 1991 which resulted in 43 deaths and forced temporary evacuation of hundreds of others. If I had known the extent of this activity, I doubt if I would have traveled up the mountain to peer inside.
Then it was off to Shimabara Castle which contained five floors of museum artifacts.
A year or so later Ron and I rode a hydroplane to Goto Island for the wedding of one of his co-workers to a Japanese girl whose family owned a hotel on the island. All guests were invited to stay overnight but we declined as we still had children at home.
Japanese customs are quite different from ours. Monetary gifts are given to the new couple and they, in turn, give gifts back to the guests. Each chair at the reception had a beautifully wrapped package. My husband had a large china bowl and I had four matching smaller bowls. I happened to see this same pattern at the Navy Exchange later and they were each $50 . . . which means it cost much more in the Japanese economy.
The bride changed four times during the wedding. She wore a beautiful Japanese kimono for that portion of the ceremony, then an American wedding dress for her American vows, then an informal gown for the reception, then her going away dress. Ron and I were privileged to be invited to the Japanese ceremony which was limited to a small group of close friends. We, of course, were friends of the groom.
Later I went with friends to Nagasaki to see ground zero. I could not, however, enter the museum for I was told the pictures were too devastating so I stayed in the Peace Memorial Park outside of the building.
Other trips, many other trips, were made with friends to the Noritake Factory in Nagoya where we all bought china. Some bought several sets of china for it was about one-tenth the price than stateside. Shopping at the factory was like going to any mall on a Saturday . . . lots of browsing through china patterns to find just the piece you were looking for to complete your set. The salesladies wrapped each piece but you had to bring your own box or bag to carry it home.
I had a set of china in storage back in MS and felt I didn’t need another so I started just a teacup collection. Five years later when it was time to packout, Ron told me if I ever wanted Noritake china, I better get it now . . . so he went with me and the only complete set I could find on such short notice was Mendelsen. It was blue and I liked Hunter Green but you take what you can get. I wished then that I had started my buying much sooner.
We also ventured to different little towns in the area for one reason or another. There were lots of china stores and annual china sales that lined the streets.
Our Bible study ladies had several picnics at Peacock Park which was just up the road from our housing area of Hario.
And then there was the pirate ship tour around the many islands of Sasebo.
One of the most interesting of landmarks was the highway sign going from our Hiagashisonogi Prefecture to Nagasaki. We were on the same longitude as Charleston and Baghdad . . . very interesting. It brought a little bit of home to Japan to see that Charleston was only a half a world away.

No comments:

Post a Comment