Sunday, November 30, 2014

LIFE and DEATH in MY REARVIEW MIRROR

by Danna Shirley

            I was a new widow choosing to remain in the house that my husband, Ron, and I had built. There was no question that I would continue working as Admin Asst to the Fire Chief at the Ocean Springs Fire Department (MS) and also attend Vancleave Assembly of God Church. I was numb and couldn’t make any decision to do otherwise.
            It was fourteen miles from my front door in Vancleave to the front door of Central Fire Station. Part of those fourteen miles included a stretch of sparsely inhabited two lane road that commuters traveled, exceeding the speed limit, trying to make time when they were late for work in the morning or anxious to get home at night. Traffic was usually light and, as a rule, there were no delays until you reached Vancleave.
            On one particular trip home from work, I was taken off guard when I noticed a school bus in front of me with about four cars behind it. They were at a dead stop and I had to slam on my brakes. We sat there for quite awhile waiting for the traffic to move.
            When I looked up in my rearview mirror, I saw a big, black, pickup truck barreling down on me. I gripped the steering wheel and waited for him to notice that we were all stopped ahead of him. HE DIDN’T NOTICE! He was still coming full speed. All I could utter was, “Oh, God...Oh, God...Oh, God!” as I stared in my rearview mirror and braced myself for impact. It was one of those moments when you can’t watch but you can’t look away either. I just knew I was going to die right there on Highway 57 in south Mississippi!
            When the truck driver got close enough to realize that traffic was stopped in front of him, he slammed on his brakes and pulled over into the ditch finally stopping three cars in front of me. When I think of where he would have stopped if he hadn’t pulled over, I get goose bumps. 
            Soon the bus began to move and all of us pulled forward as if we hadn’t just escaped death. I drove past his truck and looked over at him thinking, I should stop and check on him; maybe say something but there was nothing that could have been said. He was sitting there staring out his front window and I’m sure contemplating his narrow escape from death as well.
            Later that night the event became more surreal to me as I relived looking in my rearview mirror. What if I had died? I thought of being in heaven with my husband, Ron, and how that would have been perfectly fine with me. I was lonely and ready to go. Then I thought of my loved ones that I would have left behind; my daughter, Kristen and granddaughter, Emma; my sons Russell and Aaron, and I decided that I did want to live.  I wanted to live to see many more grandchildren.
            Thank You, Lord, for saving me that day so I could be Mimi to . . .

MACKENZIE RAE 
EMMA KATHERINE and 
ISABELLA REESE.

No comments:

Post a Comment