Saturday, November 29, 2014

DIVINE APPOINTMENT--Southwest Airlines

by Danna Shirley

I recently flew from Napa, California through Chicago, Illinois to Memphis, Tennessee. On this eleven hour trip I observed many faces highlighted with iPhones, iPads, etc. Since I don’t own one of these and don’t want to, I decided to engage in conversations with strangers instead. Knowing I would probably never see any of these people again, there was no fear of embarrassment or discomfort. I was brave, I was bold, I learned a lot.
I rode the 10:00 Evans shuttle to the San Francisco airport and arrived about 11:40, checked my bags curbside, went through the metal detector, and started looking for a place to eat lunch. I stopped at a sandwich counter and took my Philly Cheese Steak to the first table where I asked if I could join a nice African-American woman. She had no techy device so we started talking about our destinations and learned we had much in common. She had been to Memphis, knew where Vancleave, Mississippi was, and had driven through Luverne on her way to Troy, Alabama. With every familiarity we shared, we became closer and laughed together at what a small world we live in. She was a traveling nurse on her way to Los Angeles. Then she told me she was claustrophobic on airplanes and asked me to pray for her. To her surprise I took her hands and asked God to open up the expanse of heaven and show her His beautiful creation; no boundaries, no walls. Then I gave her my card. She left for her gate and I continued eating my sandwich.
Immediately an older gentleman crossed my path looking for an empty table; almost impossible to find at noon in the San Francisco airport.  He struggled with two pieces of luggage stacked together and a woman’s purse. I said, “Would you like to sit here.” He maneuvered himself and his bags and placed the purse on the chair opposite. After visiting awhile, he said he had been to eighteen states since he was sixteen years old. I asked if he had flown a lot. “No,” he replied and held up a hitchhiking thumb. I was almost finished eating when I asked if he would like me to stay and make his wife jealous. J I don’t think he knew how to respond to that one. “It never hurts to keep ’em guessing,” I said, and smiled as I rose to leave.
I arrived at my gate an hour early and sat reading until we were called to board. Southwest boards according to letters and numbers, A1-60 then B1-60. I was A57 and found my spot in line between two young ladies. They were already getting to know each other so when I arrived I was easily pulled into the conversation. We naturally talked about where we’d been and where we were going. I was wearing my wrist splint and mentioned that I might need help getting my carry-on in the overhead compartment. One of the ladies said she would help me. I gave each of them one of my cards.
My routine is to go to the back of the plane to find a seat. It gives me time to get out of everybody’s way and find an aisle seat. Next came a young lady who took the window seat. As the plane filled up, a bewildered young man had no choice but to take the middle seat between us. He was a large Hawaiian with a beard and hair bun. I was sorry to make him so uncomfortable and moved as close to the armrest as I could. I finished the book I was reading about an hour later and turned to him. “What’s your story?” I asked. He had just graduated from a Baptist Seminary, been married only three months (his wife was in the row behind us), and they were on their way to Indiana to see her family. We had a great conversation about God, church, sermons, worship, and answered prayer.
When I landed in Chicago I only had twenty minutes to get to my next gate. This flight was not full so there was an empty seat between me and a young African-American girl. Shannon was four months pregnant and not handling the flight very well. I asked if I could pray for her and then we talked about our trip to Memphis. She was coming home to see her doctor and find out if her baby was a boy or a girl. Her boyfriend had gone to Los Angeles to cut his second album. I told her I would pray for her and the baby and the boyfriend, Chief Keef. I also gave her one of my cards. I looked him up online when I got home and learned he was a rapper of the worst kind. I will definitely be in prayer for this young family.
I love Divine Appointments. You never know how God will use them—either for your benefit or for someone else’s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment