Saturday, November 29, 2014

FINDING YOUR BRIGHT SIDE--HOPE IN GOD!

by Danna Shirley

Whatever life throws us, we have a choice to remain in our despair, dreary, depression of a lifeless life. What kind of existence is it to awaken every morning with the curtains drawn and the covers pulled in around us; to feel the chill, clammy, dank, darkness within and without; to know there is no warmth anywhere we put our foot, our hand, or our head; to feel a deluge of rain upon every thought, every word, every feeling and emotion—to just exist in this dismal existence?   

We cannot ignore that life has its peaks and valleys, its sorrow and grieving moments. Jesus tells us it “rains on the just and the unjust” (Mt 5:45). You may ask, “Am I the just or the unjust at this moment?” Sometimes it is better to leave that question unasked and sidestep “Why, God?” because there is no answer.

Loss can be associated with anything—death, divorce, unemployment, finances, health, relationships. The world tells us there are five steps to get through loss and the grieving process: (1) denial, (2) anger, (3) bargaining, (4) depression, and (5) acceptance.

I have survived the loss of my husband of 34 years.
(1)  I did not deny Ron’s home-going and eventually was able to celebrate and thank God that he was in the arms of his Savior.
(2)  I did not experience any anger toward Ron or God. I was actually numb for a very long time. God was able to work on me; to bring me through to peace and acceptance.
(3)  There was no bargaining with God for Ron was gone in an instant!
(4)  Of course I dwelled in depression at the loss of a continued life with my love; however, today, ten years later, I have found contentment.
(5)  I accepted that God knows the end from the beginning, God is in control of all things and if He wanted a different outcome, we would have had a different outcome. God buoyed me and my family up above the circumstances. Time does heal!

I have always been one that tries to justify circumstances. In so doing, I have come to this conclusion:
·        Ron is no longer in pain from fibromyalgia.
·        He has not had to cope with the stress and trauma of life.
·        He has found that peace that passes all understanding and he is enveloped in the loving arms of his Savior.
·        I will be with him again someday.
·        Why would I grieve over his triumphant presence in heaven?
·        I look forward to that day for myself.

So how do we flip this coin to the bright side, the right side of life—the optimistic and positive—the love and health and blessing side? God Almighty gives HOPE in His Word! There is no way around life, you just must go through it . . . but “happy is he whose HOPE is in the Lord his God.” (Ps 146:5) How sad for the person who does not know God, who has no HOPE.   

“Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart,
All you who HOPE in the LORD.” (Psalm 31:24)

“Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? 
HOPE in God, for I shall yet praise Him, For the help of His countenance.”
(Psalm 42:5)

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD,
thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a HOPE.”
(Jeremiah 29:11)

“Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God
through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith
into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in HOPE of the glory of God.”
(Romans 5:1-2)

“Now HOPE does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out
in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.”
(Romans 5:5)

“. . . rejoicing in HOPE, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;”
(Romans 12:12)

“Now may the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace in believing,
that you may abound in HOPE by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
(Romans 15:13)

“And now abide faith, HOPE, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”
(1 Corinthians 13:13)

“. . . the eyes of your understanding being enlightened;
that you may know what is the HOPE of His calling,
what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe,”
(Ephesians 1:18-19)

“To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory
of this mystery among the Gentiles:
which is Christ in you, the HOPE of glory.”
(Colossians 1:27)

“This HOPE we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast,
and which enters the Presence behind the veil,”
(Hebrews 6:19)

“But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready 
to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason 
for the HOPE that is in you, with meekness and fear;”
(1 Peter 3:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment