Saturday, November 29, 2014

HEREDITY

by Danna Shirley

I am the youngest of my father’s three daughters. I am sixty and Pa will turn eighty-eight in a short eleven days. He has suffered with prostate problems for the past year and has had three surgeries in the last few months. He has lost twenty-five pounds during this illness, five of which were in the hospital during his last admission. So I flew to Napa, California to be another set of hands to help my parents.
Pa was released from the hospital on a Sunday and we went to Safeway on Monday to stock up on groceries. The checker asked where I was from, probably due to my accent, and I told him Tennessee. Then he asked if I was visiting someone. I pointed to Pa and said, “Yes, my father.” 
He looked at Pa, who was wearing a ball cap which hid his white hair, and exclaimed in surprise, “You’re kidding!” 
I knew what he meant. Pa has always looked young for his age. I was proud to be his relation and hoped I would take after him. 
I asked, “How old does he look?” 
Now you have to remember that Pa had lost twenty-five pounds, had three surgeries, received two units of blood, and had just been discharged after a week in the hospital. 
The checker’s reply, “Why, he doesn’t look much older than you!!!”   
I say the checker was just a kid who couldn’t determine age very well! Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 
However, it did make Pa’s day. J                                      
                                                                                                   February 15, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment