Saturday, November 29, 2014

DIVINE APPOINTMENT-Napa, CA

by Danna Shirley

            Colton was sitting on the bench facing the tree that had killed his best friend. His head was dropped low as he envisioned his life without Montana. He even said a prayer for the first time since he was a little boy.
            He looked up at the tree now with the many memories posted on and around it; lots of candles that had burned flat, a cross with R.I.P. Montana, an American flag, his cowboy hat signed by all their friends, a tire and tire iron, a can of Skoal, and other bits and pieces of his life.
A flash of anxiety quickened Colton’s body. What if I’d been with him? What if my name was on a cross right beside his? Where would I be spending eternity?
He had accepted Jesus into his heart way back when but as his hormones took notice of girls and vice versa, all thoughts of goodness were neglected. He said another prayer of surrender to his amigo and stood to leave.
A tan van pulled up and parked near the street across from the bench. He thought it was another mourner coming to pay respects . . . but it wasn’t. It was an elderly woman approaching him now. What could she possibly want?
“Was he a friend of yours?” she asked.
“My best friend,” I said still looking at the cross. She touched my arm but I didn’t look up. I just continued staring blankly at the tree with my hands in my pocket and the bill of my ball cap pulled low. I didn’t want to think anymore. I just wanted to shut my eyes and sleep away this horrible nightmare.
She spoke softly. “Was he a Christian?”
“Yes,” he answered slowly.
“What is your name?”
“Colton.”
“Colton, Montana’s destination is set. There is nothing you can do for him now. But God sent me to you.”
Silence.
“I was on my way to an appointment,” she continued. “In fact I’m going to be late but God spoke to me as I drove by and saw you. He told me to ‘Go back and talk to that boy.’ Are you a Christian, Colton?”
“I believe in God,” I replied confidently.
“Did you know the Bible says even the demons believe and tremble? It’s not enough to believe in God out there somewhere.” She swept her arm across the air in front of me. “You must believe in here,” and she touched my heart.
Now I was not so confident.
She continued to gently touch my arm. “God sent me to talk to you for a reason. There is no more talk for Montana but maybe you can talk to your other friends. There are two paths set before you, Colton. The wide way can toss you to and fro into all kinds of trouble and lead you along a path to destruction. But God wants you to choose the narrow way that will keep you on the right path to a good life, an abundant life. I believe He wants you to be a witness to others, to be a light to shine in this dark tragedy, to point the way to hope and a future.”
I stood there staring at the ground. I couldn’t look up at her. Was this God really speaking to me?
“Colton, would you like to receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior?” she asked.
“I did when I was a little boy,” I replied.
“Colton, can I pray with you?”
“Yes.”
She prayed, then hugged my neck and said, “God loves you, Colton.” I hugged her back. She got into her vehicle and was gone.
I wonder if I hadn’t been sitting on that bench right at the time she drove by, would God have still gotten through to me. I wonder!


Note from author: I almost didn’t turn around and go back but I’d attended a Bible Study the night before on the ‘losses’ in life and how to cope with them. I knew this young man was going through a huge loss and I couldn’t ignore the prompting of the Holy Spirit to go back and talk to him. Only God knows where Colton will go from here.  –Danna Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment